The RealReal - An innovative fashion company changing the game | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

There are newer employer reviews for The RealReal

"An innovative fashion company changing the game"

Current Employee - Manager in Secaucus, NJ
Current Employee - Manager in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The RealReal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the real real there is tons of growth and opportunity for those who are vocal about moving up and put in the work to do so. I have seen super talented employees start at an entry level position and work their way up to a leadership role in six months to one year. It actually happens pretty often. Because the company is a unique start up, ideas are always welcomed and there is no tightly structured growth path like other fashion companies. You don’t have to be an assistant for two years before you are considered for an elevated role. There’s an open door policy with every manager and director in the building so if you have an issue there’s always someone who can help. Lastly, you are surrounded by amazing fashion and people who love the fashion industry. Every employee brings something unique to the business.

Cons

To be successful here you need to be able to deal with constant change so those who are entry level or don’t have diverse work experience could become overwhelmed while trying to keep up. There is still work to be done when it comes to providing managers with a system to automatically track employee performance. Some roles are only offered at our headquarters in SF, so if your interested in public relations, marketing and merchandising it’s harder to grow into those roles.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employees engaged and make them feel like they are apart of a team. Push for fairness and consistency across departments. Keep promoting hard working employees!

Other Employee Reviews for The RealReal

"Run While You Still Can"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The RealReal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My fellow co-workers are the only thing that keeps me going in this place. They are amazing, hardworking, genuine, and creative people.

Cons

Oh boy where to start. Working at TheRealReal is like having all the life sucked out of you. There is absolutely ZERO work/life balance here as there is REQUIRED overtime, not just once a month as they tell you in the interview, but practically every day. Getting to leave at your scheduled end time is a damn miracle. The pay is abysmal for northern NJ so you feel like you need to work overtime to survive. You only get one 30 min break for the entire time you're there, which is unethical.
    The work itself is "easy" as in you don't really need prior experience, but it is HARD work. It's very physically intense and you will be mentally and physically exhausted by the end of your shift. The expectations for this job are positively ridiculous. The managers work you to the bone and push their employees so hard that I've witnessed several of my coworkers have breakdowns at work. The minimum quota they have in your contract is a joke as the managers will set up their own daily goals for you to hit instead, which can be up to twice as high. You are not allowed to leave until you hit these goals, even if you've been there for 10+ hours with only 1 thirty min break.
    There is no separation between "sick time", PTO, or vacation time, which I had never experienced before, as even as a part-time retail employee I had separate sick days. Upper management is unapproachable and treats their workers like children. They will micromanage you and if you dare ask questions or speak up about anything they will talk down and belittle you. HR is a different beast. One of my coworkers had a fellow employee make degrading and sexual remarks to her and when she went to HR they asked what she had done to provoke him. UNBELIEVABLE. After that incident, I have refused to talk to HR about anything as I can see they truly have no respect for the employees of this company.

These are just some of the reasons this company has so many 1 star reviews and such a high turnover rate. I will not be surprised if this company goes under sooner rather then later.

Advice to Management

Congrats on making "2 million dollars a day". Why don't you put some of that back into the people who are making that possible?
    LISTEN TO THE COMPLAINTS. Do not disregard these reviews as people who just want to trash the company. The employees here are fantastic, artistic, energetic and fun people that want this place to succeed. You could make this a great place to work if you put in the effort.

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at The RealReal full-time

Pros

Great team, everyone is highly skilled and super friendly.

1) We have hackathons where we're free to try out almost anything.
    2) We use a modern stack, including Rails, Elixir, Kafka, Elasticsearch, AWS
    3) Upper management is top-notch and willing to help/mentor
    4) Beer Fridays!!!

Cons

Maybe get out the word more, start up an engineering blog?