The Shade Store - Custom Made Simple | Glassdoor

"Custom Made Simple"

Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Shade Store has the most beautiful products and showrooms, great work environment, short turnaround times in production. Excellent company support from corporate, with direct access to members of all departments in real time. Team efforts are rewarded with monthly bonuses. Pay is above average.

Cons

Less than desirable work-life balance. Weekends. Disconnect between design consultants to measure and installer pros to production to final outcome.

Advice to Management

Should not need to take personal time off for sick days.

Other Employee Reviews for The Shade Store

"Design Consultant"

Former Employee - Design Consultant
    Former Employee - Design Consultant

I worked at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company founders are very passionate and have strong company values. They have grand goals for the company's growth. Strong support of the showrooms from headquarters.

Cons

I've observed customer profiling in the showroom by some design consultants on a regular basis, even though it is against company policy. These employees don't want to "waste time" on people who they believe can't afford our window treatments because "they're not our customer". It was very uncomfortable watching these employees google addresses of the customers to gauge how much time and effort we should spend/waste. If you don't look wealthy or have an expensive home, then these design consultants may decide you're not worth their trouble.

Only 6 paid holidays a year. 10 PTO days total: includes vacation and sick time combined. You have to work out your days off with co-workers before getting approval from headquarters. Can be challenging if your co-workers are unreasonable or inflexible.

This was not a creative design position. This is a SALES position with commission and bonus incentives. The company structure is flat (they do explain this to you) ... all 200+ Design Consultants report to VP of Sales.

Advice to Management

Visit the showrooms and observe the design consultants to make sure there is no profiling going on. Make sure that the team members are communicating with each other and assigning showroom responsibilities among the team fairly. In my observances, via emails and phone calls, the employees will generally tell you what you want to hear. Visit the showrooms unannounced and regularly.

The Shade Store Response

Nov 22, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Please know, as a third generation family business, we have built our business and reputation based on how we treat people. We greatly value, appreciate, and respect each... More

2. "Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture that truly has a genuine focus on the employee experience and the customer experience. There is a very detailed and deliberate structure which offers you many people to contact for support. The Designers work together to run each showroom and they make decisions as a team. There is genuine innovation and the company is always looking to try new things. Communication is welcome at all levels of the Company

Cons

Hard to reach the bonus in a new showroom with inconsistent traffic patterns.
    Negotiate the right salary up front so you will be comfortable financially.

Advice to Management

Thank you for sharing so much honest feedback, updates and information with each of us. The culture is true and genuine and I love working and representing The Shade Store