The Standard - Stability | Glassdoor

"Stability"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worker here for about 20 years, through ups and downs, demutualization, recession, etc and it has always been a solid company to work for.

Cons

Things have changed over the years; not always for the good. Annual raises for the past 4 years have been low or zero. Staff reductions have resulted in more work for everyone, with not much more pay.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth.

Other Employee Reviews for The Standard

"Extremely poor management. It's all about who you're friends with in order to advance in your career"

Former Employee - RFP Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - RFP Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in downtown Portland.

Cons

As I said before, poor management practices (at all levels).

Advice to Management

Take some management classes at a nearby college or university.

"Not a competitive company overall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time

Pros

–Upper management communicates with employees at all levels. Multiple times management would walk around my floor and asked me how things were going and so forth. This is rare...

Cons

–Cronyism to the maximum in this place. It literally pissed a lot of people off. In my tenure there, I saw a person get hired for another internal position after just 6 months of working there (there's an established 1 year minimum to apply). A woman got promoted to manager after less than a year of being there, but she was the wife of an upper management executive. I also saw a person get promoted 2-3 times from taking photographs to a higher marketing position in less than 14 months. These are just some cases from a long list of crazy promotions and things that went on there.

–Compensation is extremely low compared to competitors, below average in my career area. I got a 1% performance bonus, that is ridiculous.

–Meetings, meetings and more meetings: The culture seems to be around meetings–at least in my area–and the time wasted in meetings is just inconceivable. I have not seen anything like that anywhere else.

–Talent is not recognized. I worked with people that had degrees nowhere close to the educational preparation required, and their mistakes were covered up by managers for the sake of who knows what. Some people were afraid of technical skills and preferred keeping it simple even when that couldn't be done to answer the questions needed to be answered.

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent and skills needed for the team to succeed, don't settle for less than that. Don't be afraid about holding people accountable and avoid wasting time in meaningless meetings.