The Washington Post - Absolutely zero leadership | Glassdoor

"Absolutely zero leadership"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that do the actual work are great people. The tech side of the house is actually filled with very intelligent people.

Cons

Leadership is astoundingly bad. There's 0 vision for the company, other than trying to maintain what's left of print circulation. Projects are started and killed a year later despite success. There's no rhyme or reason to anything.

Watch massive layoffs to hit the operating income (100's of people), and then the publisher will take a $3million bonus for hitting the target.

The industry is only getting worse, and there are absolutely zero plans in progress to address the downward spiral.

At this point Don is treating the company like a charity, not a business.

Advice to Management

Invest in your growth sectors, fire every single one of your executives, cut the middle management, and produce better content. You need ONE person with vision and some people to execute. You currently have around 40 "leaders" with no vision at all.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all. We’d love to hear more specifics and if you feel the same with... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Washington Post

"Myopic organization run like a chaotic family business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nothing..This organization is a joke for any self respecting ambitious professional

Cons

Run away from this. No direction or vision. The executives have no idea what does digital/ mobile world means. Very incompetent and unethical company. I am surprised how it has still been part of Berkshire portfolio. This business should not be in existence since it does more harm than good to the society. Content is produced by third grade editorial team that has no respect for what user wants in the current times.

Advice to Management

Stop cooking books for making year end bonuses. Face reality. Print is dying. Adapt to mobile/digital world, way other businesses did.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

"The dazzling place to work is not so much dazzling inside."

Former Employee - Lead Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Competitive salaries.
    -Excellent benefits,one of the best Health Insurance plans.
    -Brand Name(at least in Wash,DC Metro Area) -- once you have this name on your resume be assured no one will look down on you,be it for contracting or full time opportunities.

Cons

**I work in IT and I have seen Newsroom very very closely.I have informed opinion about both**

Lets be honest,newspaper industry is going through a tough phase.Now if you are in Newspaper industry you have to absorb the shocks which are coming from upper management,knee jerk reactions,and witness lot of bloodbath in terms of employees getting laid etc.Bottom line, you are at the mercy of new CIO,your manager,and the budget.Performance doesn't matter.

When the time was good(till 2010ish),IT was treated as a step child and people(publishers etc.) were happy making money from Print.The decline was there but not that alarming.Now when a notable decline came in 2010ish everyone panicked. McKinsey etc. were called and they suggested hey,you know what this is digital age...duh..The wake up call turned into hiring of new CIO and his nickel and dimming.Coffee machines were removed and replaced with vending machines.Employees were laid off by calling them "inefficiencies".No lunches,no Happy hours.Compensation took a severe hit,and growth opportunities were never there.Oh and there is no place for training and company paying for learning new tech.So,now IT is like a code generating machine,which WPO wants to use it 24*7 for making money and it's survival.Post being a gandalf has old employees who worked on Unix all their lives.I call them worthless boulders bcz they just dont want to leave or learn.Journalists work all their lives in print and doing typesetting etc., so for them digital CMS system is a blackbox.They dont want to learn it and keep making mistakes bcz of not getting proper training.FF today,Post is making a desperate attempt to expand it's digital platform(results can be seen by the products launched in 2012) and investing in Mobile technologies.To call situation at Post pressure cooker is an understatement.Work-Life balance is missing since at least past 1.5 years.No one job is secure.All in all,if you want to join this company expect nothing but your paycheck.No you can't have weekends.Period.

Tell yourself that you are here just to have that brand name on your resume so that you can find a better life elsewhere with normal work schedules and not feel treated like garbage.

Advice to Management

None.As if they listen to us -:)

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the review and feedback. We're so sorry you had a negative experience working for us. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all... More