The Washington Post - Talented people, working hard toTa convey good vvvvjournalism. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Washington Post

"Talented people, working hard toTa convey good vvvvjournalism."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for people who are committed and ambitious. A newsroom open to ideas and innovation. Our industry is going through tremendous change, but The Post at least is open to change, and now with the purchase by Jeff Bezos, I'm sure you'll see more change.

Cons

Quality of editors varies, some excellent, some not so much. Some editors not adventurous enough, or insightful enough to spot good ideas and implement them or not confident enough to let their reporters run with a good idea.

Advice to Management

Keep doing quality journalism, and being open to new ideas.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ (past and present) positive experiences working with us. We've passed on your feedback to our team and if you have ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Washington Post

"Happy to be gone"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great, great people. Cannot say enough about the (regular worker) people!

Cons

Journalist side of the house is highly favored over supporting departments (HR, finance, IT, marketing, sales, etc). High-level executives are completely disconnected from those that do the work. There are literally no employee perks left -- no cafeteria, no coffee/tea/water, barely any health benefits, no holiday parties, no tuition reimbursement, no bonuses (for anyone but high-level executive), etc. Many people who have been in the same job for years (decades even). Utter lack of innovation.

Advice to Management

Need some charismatic leaders with vision (maybe Jeff Bezos is the guy!). Clean house of executives who do not actively move the company toward mobile and web-based content. Print is a sinking ship, start acting like it. Lip service does not turn companies around. Put your money where you mouth is.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the review and feedback. We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience while at The Post. We're proud to ensure our employees receive great benefits from competitive health ... More

"Don't get stuck here!"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's great to tell people that you work for an institution. The brand has prestige and that draws really talented people. Our news department still occasionally offers public service such as our series on Walter Reed, breaking news coverage and even some of the daily Metro reportage.

Cons

The newsroom is in serious cutback mode. There are more and more mistakes in our stories -- everything from fact errors to typos. We're constantly told by the publisher to make ourselves "indispensible" by doubling up on more work. However, through a quiet process of attrition, we've been made to feel disposable and that no one can actually be indispensible. The pressure is horrible. When it's time for evaluations, qualified people get pushed out the door as a way to get around 'last hired, first fired.' The newer employees are also leaving because of the bad morale and low pay.

Advice to Management

Go back to treating your employees like employees instead of pack mules.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all. We’d love to hear more specifics and if you're still ... More