The Washington Post - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There was a talented and energetic staff throughout my entire tenure at the newspaper, which is popular with Metro riders.

Cons

The hours are challenging for someone looking to raise a family, as is the case with all jobs in the journalism field.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We've passed on your feedback to our team and appreciate the transparency. Thank you for allowing The Washington Post to be part of your career journey!... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Washington Post

1. "Great place to work for hard working individuals, but needs position itself for the future"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Post has a very collegial environment. Hard-work and performance are rewarded. The Washington Post is a great brand that is recognized internationally. It's nice to mention your employer and have people recognize it. Increased investment in technology is promising for the future.

Cons

It has a very strong legacy business, which is declining. The future mission is not clear. However, it is clear that The Washington Post is investing a lot of time and energy in the future of the company trying "crack the code" of the media industry/newspaper/technology dilemma and where it wants to place its self.

Advice to Management

Very much a classic business model hierarchy. Need to figure out the company's new mission. Share the mission with employees. Be transparent. Need to re-structure for the future and try some more modern workplace initiatives.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We've passed on your feedback to our team. To your point, we are investing in the future and... More

"Fabled news organization, now owned privately, disruptive times for print"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a well-funded pension plan here.
    The history of the company is interesting. Watergate, Pentagon Papers, Unibomber papers, all the news about NSA and CIA, anything to do with elections.
    The projects can be very exciting and unusual.
    There is a good discount on newspaper subscriptions for employees.
    A strange new Guaranteed Savings contribution type of thing instead of a large 401(k) match.

Cons

The news industry has been hurt by the free news available on TV and the Internet.
    Many cuts have left morale in the dumps, but our new owner (Amazon's founder: Jeff Bezos) is inspiring some hope here. The new owner is NOT Amazon itself, but taken private from the Graham family's publicly traded company (now known as Graham Holdings Inc.).
    The 401(k) match (not counting the Guaranteed Savings contribution piece) is only against the first 1% of the employee's contribution.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We've passed on your feedback to our team. It's helpful in making sure we're a great place to... More