The Washington Post - Decent salary for a motivated individual | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Washington Post

"Decent salary for a motivated individual"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

Pros

WashPost offers flexible schedules and great, achievable bonuses. It is easy to work part time at the Post and make enough money to support yourself.

Cons

There are always difficulties working for a large company or under a bad boss within a large company. Fortunately I only experienced working under a bad boss for about 3 months during my 1 3/4 years.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. A lot of young employees had some great ideas during my time at WashPost but the company was slow to recognize them and put up roadblocks to implement them. Get rid of the old-timers who are a drain on the company.

Dec 14, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ (past and present) positive experiences working with us. Sorry you had a poor manager for 3 months. We take this very... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Washington Post

"Not great pay, but good sense of community"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Strong heritage, great brand, trusted publication, friendly and intelligent coworkers. This is a good place to be if you want to proud of your company's role in society.

Cons

The pay isn't great, and there's a lot of obliqueness about what people make. The news industry is in really tough times, and there have been lots of recent staff cutbacks. These problems aren't unique to WashPost Co. but are a big problem for the entire industry right now.

Advice to Management

Employees know the industry is tough, so be honest with them about what you're doing to combat it, even the harder parts. Just show that we're all in it together.

Dec 14, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ (past and present) positive experiences working with us. Thank you for allowing The Washington Post to be part of... More

"Thinking of working at The Washington Post in advertising?"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Large company. Competitive base salary, decent benefits. Office location in the middle of NW DC. Instant name recognition with the local area and nationwide.

Cons

No one makes any money outside of their base salary, outrageous quotas, unrealistic activity metrics, upper management oblivious to competitions prices and puts no money into new products or improvements. No prospecting allowed (yes, even for a sales position) instead you are provided a list of existing clients that you are to treat as prospects. Upper management lacks any kind of actually selling experience but relies on an outside sales trainer that has no idea of what the actual conditions are for the account managers. In turn, wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars on training with no return on investment.

Advice to Management

Selling print adv is becoming a thing of the past. With the significant turnover in the last 6-8 months (approximately 25-30 emp. just in one dept) perhaps start focusing efforts to combine print and on line advertising or put some money into your on line product so its somewhat comparable to competition, especially when you are charging more for it.

Dec 14, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all. We’d love to hear more specifics if you are finding these... More