The Washington Post - Software developer | Glassdoor

"Software developer"

Pros

flexible work hours,you can learn if you are ambitious, excellent benefits, work from home for non managers, free newspaper.

Cons

laid back but changing, personal rapport matters a lot, declining industry, need some better leaders, started outsourcing to save money.

Advice to Management

Too many directors in the company even if they don't have reportees. Needs lot of co-ordination between teams/depts/group. Set up a central purchase office. All this will prevent duplication of work.

Dec 14, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences working at The Post. Flexibility and the many benefits of working here are part of why we love ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Washington Post

"Great starting off point, not the best for advancement."

Pros

The namesake carries significant weight. Great DC location. Also a great resume builder. Utilize operating database systems that are transferrable.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for advancement. Lack of communication with upper management. Not really into mentoring subordinates, or grooming for higher positions.

Advice to Management

Take your subordinates seriously, and trust their ability. We were hired for a reason, not to be babysat. Management needs to be more accountable for their actions and not place blame on subordinates.

Dec 14, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We've passed on your feedback to our team. If you have anything else to add, feel free to email ... More

"Grass isn't greener..actually more like thatch."

Pros

Good to have on your resume

Cons

Highly political, packing with people with pedigree degrees who think they are smart but can't execute any original ideas. Pockets of good people but the short story is that the company is toxic. Don't go there unless you need a temporary place while you are looking for a real job.

Dec 14, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the review and feedback. We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience while working at The Post. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to ... More