The White Company - Experienced bullying | Glassdoor

"Experienced bullying"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in London, England

I worked at The White Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable pay, beautiful products, friendly co workers, nice surroundings

Cons

I was really badly bullied by two managers. The managers were picking on certain staff members, presumably to force them to leave. I know many staff members at the time had complained to head office about the bullying but nothing was ever done. Store CCTV was being used by managers to monitor staff behaviour also, which made certain staff members (including myself), feel very self conscious. This job really affected... my confidence and I’m really quite angry that this behaviour was allowed to continue. One of the managers devised a daily floor plan to organise staff (for instance, you could spend one hour on the tills, followed by an hour on the fitting rooms etc). I was brought to tears on one occasion where I was made to stand on the front door greeting customers in the cold for an entire 8 hour shift. This felt like a real low blow and I’m certain they were laughing at me in their office whilst I was stood there. Appalling behaviour. Many staff members walked out as they were so fed up with being bullied - this was the aim I’m sure. When I handed my notice in, one of the managers who had bullied me for over a year asked if I wanted a store transfer (I was moving to another part of the U.K.). This seemed like a cover up plan on the manager’s behalf. Gosh I’m still shocked even to this day and I’m discussing my experience with a therapist. When certain staff members left the job, they were given gifts on their last day. I was given nothing and one of the manager’s sat in an isolated office and didn’t even bother to say goodbye.

Advice to Management

If you’re unhappy with any aspect of your staff members’ behaviour, actually do some positive work and help them to improve rather than bullying them until they break down. This behaviour is not acceptable. Ask yourself if you’d want to be treated in the same way you’re treating others. The answer is likely to be no. Direct efforts towards hiring staff you like rather than realising at a later date you don’t like... them and forcing them to leave. It’s unfair and unjust.

The White Company2018-08-01

"THEJOURNEY"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at The White Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very Welcoming lovely scent of the store GREAT DECOR of the Store!!!! Love the workers very tentative and super friendly. AMAZING PRODUCTS AND HIGH QUALITY and very reasonable price !!!

Cons

NOT TOO MANY STORE IN THE JERSEY AND NEW YORK AREA

Advice to Management

PLEASE OPEN UP MORE LOCATIONS!!!

The White Company2017-07-20
  2. "TERRIBLE"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at The White Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

coworkers are great people to work with

Cons

Management sucks and doesn't know how to run a store. Store is very boring and slow traffic

Advice to Management

DO BETTER

The White Company2018-07-20

Discover more reviews about The White Company.