The World Company - Family owned newspaper with a great web site | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The World Company

"Family owned newspaper with a great web site"

I have been working at The World Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This family owned business is supportive of their employees. Many people work here for years, for life even. Many others graduated to go on to do other great things. They aren't afraid to innovate, which is important if you are going to survive as a newspaper business. This is the company that initially produced Django, and Ellington CMS. They win a lot of awards and are passionate about publishing. Lawrence, KS is a great place to live and work.

Cons

They sold off their cable company, their television stations. Now they are shutting down their software development and website hosting business. I have no idea where they are going now. I don't see how you survive as a traditional newspaper. I'm not sure upper management realized what they had with their software development and newspaper hosting devision and they didn't know how to let go and give their hosting venture the freedom it needed to succeed. They dreamed big, made big projects, then abandoned them when they did poorer than they had hoped. They may rise again but it's not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Read The Lean Startup. If you try again, do it with faster release cycles, smaller changes, better feedback, and be ready to pivot. The journey will help you find the destination. Find a visionary who understands this, give them a budget and the reins, then get out of their way.

Other Employee Reviews for The World Company

1. "Good Company"

Pros

Family owned, private company; worked hard to be family friendly

Cons

Family owned; no longer in business

2. "Sorry to see it sold"

I worked at The World Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked here for 10 years. Some of the hardest years of my life and some of the most rewarding, working for some of the greatest people I've ever known

Cons

The paper was sold to Ogden Newspapers in 2016 and they gutted the talent out of the paper. Over 30 of 91 employees were lost, and the signal to those left was an emphasis on profit over content. It's shameful what Ogden has done to this paper.

Advice to Management

The Simons family (owners of LJW for 120+ years) treated you with respect; Ogden Newspapers treat you like dollar signs.