The Zappos Family - Best job I ever had | Glassdoor

"Best job I ever had"

Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Henderson, NV
Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Henderson, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing, laid back, lets you flourish and become the best you are great at, amazing CEO, awesome parties. Didnt feel like I was going to work, felt like I was going to hanf with a bunch of my friends and talk to fun happy people on the phone while taking their orders. Stress free. Loved it!

Cons

I got fat while working there cuz of the free catered lunches everyday haha

Advice to Management

You guys rule

Other Employee Reviews for The Zappos Family

"Culture that creates loopholes"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Henderson, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, random parades, no dress code, free food and drink.

Cons

The New Hire training program is a novel idea but it waste a lot of resources and money. Ppl. in charge who don't like certain individuals can get rid of ppl as "non-culture fits". Lack of direction and vision by management. I initially respected the message they were sending out to the public of culture but the leadership has his own agenda. He is currently just a figure head whose interest lie in other projects rather than the future of the company. The company is basically running on smoke and mirrors and only a matter of time until Amazon takes over completely.

Advice to Management

Hiring the wrong person in charge can wreck havoc in any office even one that lives and breathes on its culture. Politics in any office is a bad thing but pretending like it doesn't exists is even worse.

"It's like working for a cult."

Former Employee - ZCLT (Customer Loyalty Employee, Aka Call Center/Sales Representative ) in Henderson, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, laid back environment. Free basic lunch, lots of events and parties, free giveaways, great discount on products on the website.

Cons

Very cult-like in the way that they hire, train and operate. From the moment you step in the building on your first day, "they" (the training/management team, other faithful people in the company) are watching you, to see how you interact with other employees to see how loyal you are to the company, I'm assuming. I feel like you really have to drink the Kool-Aid to make it through training, let alone stay with the company for any period of time. Touching on the fact that Zappos wants you to be loyal- I understand that the culture they're trying to build is important to them, but if I am looked down upon for not hanging out with my team for a mandatory amount of time a week when I'd rather spend my free time with framily and friends, isn't really making me a better person, but a better Zapponian (which won't get me too far in the real world). In this company, you can move up fast, if you kiss butt, drink your daily dose of Zappo-Aid and don't stray too far out of line. It's a fun company to work for on the outside, but it comes with a price once you're in the company.

Another messed up thing that I noticed was that when you're in the middle of the long (six month process for me) hiring process, they hype up the company and have a good time with the whole thing, which was cool. but what they DON'T tell you is that once you quit your job and situate your life around Zappos, you first have to complete a month long training program, which has several tests that you have to pass, otherwise they let you go. As in you do not have a job with them anymore. Once you "graduate" the training program, you move on the the Incubation program, which puts you in the call center on the phones while being heavily monitored. Once again, there are more tests to pass, otherwise you'll lose your job there. If I had known that there was a good chance that they'd pull out the "not a good fit" firing card at any time, or that I would fail a test and lose my income, I would've never signed on with Zappos.

Advice to Management

Don't focus so much on culture that you're willing to lose genuinely good employees. Make the hiring process shorter and more honest- tell prospective employees how it really is to live in Zappos Land before they give up their current jobs to sign on with you.