Thermo Fisher Scientific - Disappointing Experience | Glassdoor

"Disappointing Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for learning. Many workshops related to lean processes, process improvement, quality, etc. Challenging environment. Thought the benefits were really good. Salary was consistent with market.

Cons

Way too much internal politicking. Favoritism. Micro management. Top-down hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Something like 360 reviews would be great. The continual attention to employee performance is OK, but there is little opportunity to provide constructive feedback for management.

Other Employee Reviews for Thermo Fisher Scientific

"Lean Operating at Cost of Employee Mental Health"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of different kinds of positions and locations for opportunity to move around but not to necessarily grow. Tuition Reimbursement.

Cons

Benefits are so-so. Racism toward people of color and sexism toward women and men was tolerated in my division. Company's policy of running "lean" is usually at the cost of the employee. In my time there we were downsized to smaller offices, received more responsibilities and "faux promotions" as a reward for good work but never saw the titles or money to go with it. If you exceed thresholds your quota will constantly increase and a game of "you're not meeting expectations" one week will be followed with "you're the greatest" the next just to keep that carrot dangling and chasing a fake dream of succeeding at Fisher. Co-workers blatantly mocked broken english spoken by clientele from origins other than the US and supervisors and team leads stood by and tolerated this behavior and worse behavior. I was paid off to leave early after reporting issues more severe than this to HR. Marc Casper clears over a 6 figure income while cuts to employee hours, pay increase freezes, resource and supply budgets are constantly juggled and cut. I've never worked at a place where I've had anxiety and felt so overworked for such little pay, such false recognition and such little access to higher ups. The hierarchy of this company is designed literally to keep you reproducing yourself at the highest frequency possible while keeping you cut off from access to actual decision makers. My complaints and concerns would get watered down the higher up the food chain they went until it seemed so irrelevant and silly that you're just not taken seriously. People are not taken seriously at this company. If you work here it's best to pretend you're stupid and slow so you get taken advantage of as little as possible.

Advice to Management

Stop fearing the corporation and show some support to your employees once in a while. No one is going to die over you doing the right thing here and there. Fight more for the rights of your teams and better treatment.

2. "Changing directions via poor leadership"

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The business is an overall simple concept to understand and get the customer to buy into. The parent company is huge and well respected for their products.

Cons

Disorganization. The company is a conglomeration of many acquired companies that run their own systems. From department to department there's no uniformity in operations. This prevents the employees from representing Thermo Fisher as one unified company. Management for the Asset Management division regularly changed. In the last 6 years they've had 6 different directors. As soon as one would leave the VP would hire from outside the division or outside the company instead of promoting from within. The result was we were constantly in the learning curve of the new person.

Advice to Management

Spend the money to unify your systems and give your employees the ability to actually be successful. Promote from within and back fill positions so your employees aren't teaching their manager how to do his/her job.