Things Remembered - Store Manager | Glassdoor

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, MN
Current Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Things Remembered full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible. Awesome to create gifts for people. Development programs.

Cons

Lots of busy work. Part time people have no hours and get paid terrible

Advice to Management

Pay your people better wages and they will stick around and want to do a better job.

Other Employee Reviews for Things Remembered

"pretty"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brandon, FL

I have been working at Things Remembered part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get to help someone personalized an item. Some people have a hard time finding the right words to say and with this job, I can help them put the words they wanted to say and make it come to life.

Cons

There were points throughout the year where I was maybe getting 2 hours a month. There is no way to pay your pills two hours a month on min wage.

Advice to Management

I personally feel that this is one of the best jobs I have ever had, however I dont make enough money nor the hours to stay

"Seasonal Sales Position at Things Remembered"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Things Remembered part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's fun helping people with their work orders and selecting gifts. Minus the pushy sales tactics and pushy sales goals (and everything else I wrote under "cons"), I have actually enjoyed certain aspects of this job: like helping customers, being very active in a busy environment and learning to be more outgoing. I like my manager and the rest of the employees who are very nice. Never had a problem with management, and the district manager was nice too.

Cons

Training is so-so. There's a lot to learn and the best way to learn everything, unfortunately is to get thrown into the fire and ask your manager a lot of questions. Sales tactics are pushy; horrible hours; unnecessary pressure put on you to meet your sales goals, for a minimum-waged retail job working only 3 hours a week to start;
    The worst part of working here: Payroll for Seasonal Sales Associate SUCKS. Read on for important details:

Things Remembered does payroll through ADP and if you're Seasonal, you are not allowed direct deposit or paper checks (unless you're permanent part-time/full-time). They make you open up an ADP TotalPay card (a VISA debit card) and they pay you by depositing money into your personal ADP account that you create once you're employed. I've done my homework and I've read the terms & conditions and information with ADP TotalPay Cards, and can be misleading, so you have to be super careful or else they'll nickel and dime you. Basically, ADP charges you for every move you make (i.e. typing in your PIN # when you buy something; ATM transactions; ATM withdraw/decline fees; fees for statement requests; and even fees for calling their "toll free number" for customer service). Yes--ADP takes money out of your hard-earned paycheck. It's a little here and a little there, but believe me, it adds up fast and it's not fair considering the low hours you're given, so BEWARE. You WILL be ripped off if you're not careful. So far, the only solution I found was to do a "Domestic Transfer" (as opposed to international transfer) of my money to my personal Wells Fargo bank account. Surprisingly, I was not charged a fee when I did this. So don't go to an ATM, don't use this ADP card when buying things or else they'll charge you.

Getting back to Things Remembered:

It's unfortunate that this company is super pushy when it comes to meeting sales goals and up-selling items. Everyone at our store was given individual sales goals and a letter grade at the end of the week. If you get one F, you get a write-up from your manager. If you get 3 F's, you get fired. That's a lot of pressure for only a minimum-waged retail job in which you start out working only 3 hours a week. Not to mention, you don't even get commission for all of the sales you make. The maximum hours I was given around Christmas was about 10 in a week. That's pretty bad, especially since my manager had told me at my interview that hours will start around 5 and go up to around 30 per week in December. I wouldn't have taken the job had I known it started at 3 and went up to 10.

On a moral basis, I do not agree with some of the sales tactics, like purposely not telling customers how much engraving is until they ask (and only telling them their total engraving price AFTER they already filled everything out), or jumping the gun and asking, "What kind of premium font would you like?" without telling them that we charge extra for premium fonts. It's no wonder that people are shocked at the cash register when suddenly their cost becomes more than double of what they originally thought.

But we are literally not encouraged to be too up front when customers ask how much engraving is. We are encouraged to be more vague rather than more specific so that customers won't be fixated on adding things up.
    They also do not advertise standard fonts. Why? Because they are free. They only advertise premium fonts because they cost extra. I was literally told to put the standard font book away so that customers wouldn't see them.

Some customers aren't fooled. I have witnessed at least one customer complaining (at least one per shift) about not being told specific prices and extra charges while filling out their work order and discussing engraving with an associate.

Like I've said, I really like my manager and the other employees, and I like interacting & helping customers with their orders. I know that my manager is under pressure to meet their sales goals for the store and our district manager is under pressure to meet their sales goals, etc. etc. Overall, it is obvious that this "sales goal" tactic and the consequences of not meeting them have a negative effect on employees, all the way down to the customer.

Advice to Management

Advice to the CEO-- Customers really don't appreciate being up-sold and bombarded with pushy sales tactics. Most of them can see right through it. People have said it's as if they are treated like they're stupid and it makes them upset. If providing excellent customer service really matters to this company, then customer complaints should be the main priority. I feel like pushy sales goals sacrifices quality customer service because employers are under a lot of pressure to meet them. It gets to the point where employees won't take "no" for an answer to the point of customer annoyance. We can't help it if people simply don't want to buy the PWP or sign up for Rewards Club, so we shouldn't be punished for it. Most importantly, CUSTOMERS shouldn't be punished for it by having to listen to us practically beg them to buy more things.