Things Remembered - Not bad for starting a sales job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Things Remembered

"Not bad for starting a sales job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Things Remembered part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

encountering different people everyday. learning new stuff about sales. learning how to engrave. Getting A LOT OF MONEY during Xmas. Helping people out. And finally making the minimum of 20 words for this section.

Cons

A lot of fragile stuff. A lot of housekeeping.

Advice to Management

hire a few high quality people instead of dozens. and get them at least 3 hours a week.

Other Employee Reviews for Things Remembered

1. "Your DM and Store Manager will determine your stores success and your own happiness"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Things Remembered full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cute girly things that look nice when engraved

Cons

Working till 6 am during Christmas Season and all the other busy holidays. Setting up floor sets in the middle of the night (2am till 9am) or however your manager wants to schedule it.
    Never having time with your family.Really rude customers..

Advice to Management

Pay your employees at least 10$ to start instead of 8$ with the amount of work they expect you to do

2. "Terrible"

Current Employee - Sales Associate Engraver in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate Engraver in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Things Remembered part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount, most co workers are friendly and easy to get along with. Each shift was atleast 4 hours long, which is great for a part time college student.

Cons

Multiple issues and cons. 1) Lack of proper training. I worked previously in the holiday season of 2011 and was engraving. Now I work in sales and did a little engraving. When I started again, I was put on the floor with no training. When I made mistakes filling in forms or asked questions, I was told off in front of customers and made to feel bad about it, while I was not told how to do it properly to begin with. 2) Work conditions: Both times working here, I was never given breaks and when brought up, was told it's my issue to find the time to take a break. End up having to stay longer after shift was supposed to finish. I plan other parts of my day around my work schedule, so when my shift is supposed to end, I often have to leave, but end up feeling forced to stay longer. I am made to feel bad when I leave at the proper end of my shift. Often times now, it is me and one other person, can never use the bathroom when needed, never able to take a break. 3) The manager at this store is rude not only to customers but is short with the staff as well. Made to feel incompetent but doesn't giver proper guidance in the first place. When I try to improve, ask questions, or apologize, made to feel inferior or stupid. Manager makes workers feel bad to call out or bad for not taking more hours.

Advice to Management

Check up on the store managers, not all of them are appropriately treating customers or the employees. Some can be quite rude and make employees feel bad about trying harder or making mistakes. We shouldn't feel bad about making mistakes, especially when put into new situations. We shouldn't feel forced to stay after our shifts, we have lives outside the store.