Things Remembered - Seasonal Sales Associate turned into Manager on Duty | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Things Remembered

"Seasonal Sales Associate turned into Manager on Duty"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Things Remembered part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was originally hired on as a seasonal employee, but was asked to become part of the base crew (which I accepted). They teach you how to sell and how to engrave. In the beginning it was a good experience. The weekly allotment of hours offers a good work/life balance, but it means not earning enough money to pay your bills. Overall, the coworkers were friendly and the veteran ones were available to help.

Cons

You are not paid adequately for the amount of work that you are expected to do, in the amount of time that you're expected to do it in. Too many shifts were all single coverage which meant greeting and helping customers, engraving items, answering the phones, filling out daily paperwork, unloading shipment, doing inventory, and maintaining a clean store all at the same time. The average number of hours the employees were getting ranged from 3-15, which is completely ridiculous and usually conflicted with employee availability. Management was severely under trained, and more than once I was asked to teach my manager how to do her job. The turnover rate is very high, for both sales associates and managers. There came a point when my store had NO management and I was forced to stand in. The sales goals were so high for each employee that we all had a very hard time reaching them no matter how good you were at selling. The DM had no clue what was going in the stores and didn't seem to care enough to find out. Often times the closers would leave overnight engraving for the openers and not tell them which created an unfulfilled turn time for the customer.

Advice to Management

Make sure the people you hire into management positions actually deserve to be put there, and that they know how run a store. Provide more training for ALL employees (even a refresher course would be good). Acknowledge employee's good performance. Make some changes to the STAR goals and payroll hours so that employees can have a chance to meet their goals and pay their bills. Hold your staff (including management) accountable and work together to find solutions to resolve issues.

Other Employee Reviews for Things Remembered

1. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Associate in Muncie, IN

I worked at Things Remembered part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the customers and engraving. The discount is nice.

Cons

No breaks or bathroom you will generally be working by yourself. As an associate you have to close the store , balance registers, and drop the deposit all for minimum wage. This may vary for the actual stores but kiosks are ran this way.

Advice to Management

Associates should not be performing management duties for minimum wage with all the responsibility and liability with no benefits.

"Things Remembered is a company that I enjoyed working for. Most of the upper management are teachers."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Things Remembered full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot from this company from the upper management. I was able to move up with the company because of everything I learned.

Cons

Movement up with the company typically ends at Store Management or a Training Manager unless there is an opening. Since I have worked for the company there hasn't been any openings.

Advice to Management

Increased training opportunities to further your career within the company