Thomson Reuters - This is a 3 year gig... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters

"This is a 3 year gig..."

Former Employee - Territory Sales
Former Employee - Territory Sales

Pros

- Great comp when you're hitting your numbers
- Top notch products and product recognition
- Lots of outside respect for the company

Cons

- Quotas, miss one year and you're done
- Long work days, weeks, months...etc
- Job security is completely dependent on your territory makeup

Advice to Management

Look at each territory individually before you place quota levels. I was told that this would be a 3 year gig when I took the job. After the first two years I couldn't believe that I wouldn't be there forever. However in year 3, I lost territory that was contributing over 30% of my overall sales but was still expected to grow 10%. What sense does that make?

Other Employee Reviews for Thomson Reuters

"Better working environment than Bloomberg, but there are concerns about how we can compete"

Current Employee - Correspondent in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Correspondent in Tokyo (Japan)

Pros

Freedom to pursue your interests, set your own goals and achieve them. Reuters is a recognized name in news that automatically garners respect. There are a lot of opportunities to be transferred to other locations. The company recognizes previous management mistakes and is trying to turn things around.

Cons

The level of technology for employees and for what we sell to clients is not high. I thought the merger with Thomson would raise the level of Reuters technology both internally and for our products, but so far I don't see much evidence of that. This will make it difficult to compete.

Advice to Management

The company recognizes previous management mistakes and is trying to turn things around when it comes to the products we sell for news and financial data. But how much longer will it take for things to improve? And will news be able to survive with the headcount that it currently has? Other businesses, like our legal business or our tax business, make good money, but news seems to be falling behind. All news outlets are struggling to find the new business model for the future. We are too.

"If your job can't be moved overseas, it's a great place to work"

Pros

There's a lot of freedom to do what you have to do to get the job done in my area

Cons

Upper management has been floundering around trying to figure out what to do. The average stay for the head of my division has been about 6 months.