Thomson Reuters - Thomson Reuters - A great place to work, but with room for improvement. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters

"Thomson Reuters - A great place to work, but with room for improvement."

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Eagan, MN
Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Eagan, MN

Pros

The company has a diverse employee base and the people I work with are intelligent. I enjoy the stimulating conversations I have with my coworkers and the value they add when I work with them. In Minnesota, I believe there is a lot of opportunities for growth within the company. I have seen many people promoted internally in the time I have been with the company.

Cons

Some of the managers within the company are slow to change in their way of thinking. If it's been done a certain way in the past, even if it does not make sense given the current setting, certain areas of the business are resistant to change. I see this primarily in the ways the Baby Boomer generation interacts with the growing Gen Y workforce. I feel that Gen Y employees are frustrated with the expectations of Baby Boomer managers with regards to alternative work arrangements (such as telecommuting or flexible work hours) and what the two generations consider to be a good work-life balance in general.

Advice to Management

If you value your human capital and would like to build a more loyal workforce with your Gen Y employees, push management thought in the direction managing to achieve results and boost productivity instead of ensuring a certain amount of "face time".

Other Employee Reviews for Thomson Reuters

"Friendly People, Zero Career Advancement"

Current Employee - Securities Researcher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Securities Researcher in Washington, DC

Pros

The people were friendly. The company recent;y merged with Reuters so it is a global company. The company is based all over the world. The company has many different occupations. The company has good products, and the customer service is excellent. It also is a company that is not in danger of going bankrupt. It's a billion dollar company. It also has a good brand name. That is identifiable to a lot of people.

Cons

The leadership was lacking in many ways. The amount of work required was very excessive. For example, after I left the position, they had additional people doing my job part time. They require employees to get up to speed very rapidly without providing adequate training for new employees. The heavy customer service focus is to the detriment of employees. The pay was quite low given the difficulties of the job and the complex work required on the job.

Advice to Management

I would invest in your people more. There was little or no training so career advancement was non existent. I would break down barriers between departments,

"Great benefits but room for improvement"

Current Employee - Operations Controller in Nutley, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Controller in Nutley, NJ

Pros

Thomson Reuters Corp is a large and stable company with very good benefits, flexible work schedules for employees and lots of vacation time given to new employees.

Cons

There are some downsides of working at Thomson Reuters. The culture tends to be quite bureaucratic and conforming to process is generally valued more than actual work-related accomplishments like solving a problem for a customer. There are constant training classes and eLearning seminars for new products and systems and almost none of it is applicable to most jobs.
    The pay is not great but you accept that since you're getting 4 and 5 weeks vacation and they let you work four 10-hour shifts.

Advice to Management

I would tell Senior Management that they should start removing some layers of middle-managers and then grant more autonomy to the lower-level managers and team-leads. There seem to be middle-managers who exist only to break your chops about doing TPS reports...
    Also, they need to streamline some of the administrative overhead that adds to our workload so we can devote more of our workday to problems that affect clients.