Threespot Media - A great tenure | Glassdoor

"A great tenure"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Threespot Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Threespot is a unique and remarkable agency. They're an awesome group of people with a fun culture... there is no small amount of effort put into creating an enjoyable place to work. The work also tends to be excellent: with a client list including the National Park Service, Planned Parenthood, Peace Corps, and the Brookings Institution, you're bound to be working on something new and interesting at regular intervals. Also, the Threespot notion of "we do good work for great clients" does hold some real value in my opinion. Coming from a background at advertising agencies, I can honestly say that my projects at Threespot stood out as work to take pride in.

Cons

On the flip side of Threespot being a unique and remarkable agency, it is very much still an agency, and thus suffers from many of the common agency troubles: accommodating client needs frequently leads to hiccups in resourcing and creeping project scope, non-technical account/project management staff frequently over-promises or under-sells fundamentally technical deliverables, and process tends to favor creative freedom over technical constraints. These factors together tend to create feast-or-famine workloads, and tend to yield outdated solutions. While I didn't feel that Threespot was doing any worse than similar companies in this sector, I did notice increasingly frequent turmoil as they grew in size (probably also very common).

Advice to Management

None. I was always able to pull them aside and talk to them directly (which I will miss dearly at any large company that I might work at in the future). I think they're doing a good job of recognizing where they need to course-correct, and I've been proud to work with/for them.

Oct 5, 2015 – COO

I loved reading this review - even the cons (which are always the most helpful for us).

You hit the nail on the head: we are an agency, and that business by its very nature requires compromise... More

Other Employee Reviews for Threespot Media

1. "One of the better agencies in DC"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Threespot Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart, creative people who are passionate about what they do and who they do it for. Makes a genuine effort to support and show appreciation to employees through good benefits, work from home policies, and social events like happy hours and scavenger hunts. The work/life balance seems to be better than at most agencies.

Cons

The downside of incredibly smart, creative people is that they tend to over-think/complicate things which causes stress, endless amounts of meetings, and battles between egos. They try very hard to create a social environment, but the atmosphere is still a bit off...

Advice to Management

Too much process can be a bad thing, try to simplify. Stick to the principles that the company was founded on and don't veer too far towards profitability over quality of work/life for employees, otherwise you'll be just like all the other churn and burn agencies in DC.

Oct 5, 2015 – COO

Good feedback, thank you. You are spot-on in noting how over-processing things (not to mention overthinking things) can lead to stalling out on important projects and initiatives.

William and I... More

2. "Threespot is full of talented, creative and brilliant people"

Current Employee - Designer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Threespot Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Throughout the office, there's a general feeling of empowerment. If you feel like a job should be done, no one will hold you back. It's a great place to start your career; managers are open to new ideas and willing to explain their reasoning. People work their butts off and still leave time in their day to talk about their lives, make jokes and drink beers.

Cons

Titles are wish-washy. This helps some workers create innovative work without worrying where their job requirements end; on the other hand, it often causes confusion. Without job definition, there's an octopus effect that overworks employees and weakens their main purpose.

Advice to Management

As a young employee, new to the field, I sometimes feel really confused and frustrated with my job. When I'm in this moment, I'd really like to feel more welcome to grab a manager and talk it out.

Oct 5, 2015 – COO

Thank you; you’ve hit on a theme we note in other later reviews about the paradox of freedom vs. management. I don’t think there’s an easy answer here. More structured management may solve some... More