Thumbtack - Great place to be introduced to the start-up world | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Thumbtack

"Great place to be introduced to the start-up world"

Former Intern - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Intern - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a summer intern, focusing on data analysis and SEO. This was a wonderful opportunity for me, since I had very little experience in the field, but with a little help, I was able to accomplish a lot. The company is so small that I was daily able to see all the different aspects that went into running a company. Not only are the people smart and driven, the work atmosphere was very focused on making the company cohesive - Friday meetings where everyone shared a little of what they were working on, daily all-company lunches and dinners (with a chef!), ping pong table, etc. I had a wonderful summer and I would highly recommend Thumbtack to anyone. Also, they just raised a lot of money from Sequoia!

Cons

There were very few downsides to working at Thumbtack - and any downside seems more to do with characteristics of start-ups, rather than with Thumbtack in particular. Since it is such a small company, don't expect them to do any hand-holding. No one really has much time for that, but they're very willing to point out a couple helpful things if you ask. Also, it sounds like the particular chef they previous hired is leaving, but I'm sure they will hire a good replacement.

Advice to Management

I think very highly of the management!

Other Employee Reviews for Thumbtack

"Great place to intern and learn more about marketing services online"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Internship spanned across multiple areas of the start up process, given the chance to gain experience in all areas of building a site geared toward services. Daily interaction with executives, all managers are very open to answer questions and assist with any problems, completely hands on. Continuous learning environment. Gained a lot of experience in a short amount of time. Environment reminded me of Google, interns could come to work in comfortable clothing, use their own laptops, and were given free range of offices to choose the most comfortable work environment; believed that if interns were comfortable, there would be great efficiency and productivity.

Cons

During my internship at Thumbtack I can honestly say there were no downsides. The executives/managers even brought in a chef to cook interns lunch and dinner so that we could continue working while getting a great meal!

Advice to Management

As mentioned before, GREAT MANAGEMENT! Extremely hands on and friendly, complete transparency and trust from the CEO down to each intern.

2. "Awesome"

Former Contractor - Operations Manager/Vendor Manager in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I worked at Thumbtack as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home setting, very flexible schedule, great pay, and awesome leadership. Every member is a trusted member, a valued member. Being a startup let's you experience being smart about using resources.

Cons

Remote setup has its cons too; you'll miss the human energy, collaboration is a tad difficult. Being a contractor (because of location) though is one of the cons, you don't have the same benefits as those who are "full-time" employees. But the pros outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you're doing a great job. Be more human though, sometimes people commit mistakes and it does not totally define who they are.