Thumbtack - Awesome environment with talented people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Thumbtack

"Awesome environment with talented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional people; pretty much everyone is very good at what they do. No tolerance for jerks and a nice departure from the increasingly common "brogrammer" startup culture. Lots of opportunity for trying new things and stretching yourself. Everyone really cares about what the company is trying to accomplish. Solid work/life balance - people work hard, but no one is afraid to take vacation or work from home if the cable guy's coming.

Cons

The flip side of lots of independence is that there isn't the degree of mentorship or training you might find a more established company - you really have to seek it out and make it happen.

Other Employee Reviews for Thumbtack

"This team is awesome and the opportunity is incredible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The team is really amazing. People are whip smart, thoughtful, and hard working while simultaneously being humble and earnest. Thumbtack optimizes its hiring process for people who are 1. humble, 2. really super smart, and 3. mission-driven. You can see the outcome of this process in the current team - I seriously feel like I learn so much from my colleagues - both on a professional and personal level - every day. I feel so lucky and blessed to be here.
    - The opportunity is incredible for two reasons: 1. the enormous size of what we're going after is insane - we're trying to improve the way the entire professional services economy is run globally!! - and 2. we're helping real people in the real world. Literally every day we have service professionals write in to us and thank us for building Thumbtack - "I was down on my luck and out of work, then I found Thumbtack. Thumbtack has transformed my life. I'm now able to put food on the table for my family again, feel proud of myself again, I just bought a new pickup truck and am finally able to invest in myself..." Seriously. Every day. I can't tell you how good it feels to build a product that affects so many people in the real world so positively.

Cons

- The distance between the current product and its potential is huge - this can be frustrating. I sometimes wish we were able to move 10x faster than we currently do!
    - It's a relatively young company - there is tons of room here for people of all experience levels but particularly for people who have been around the block and can contribute managerial and general company-building expertise.

"Amazing team tackling huge opportunity"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Be surrounded by incredibly sharp and driven team members. From engineering to customer operations the team is really, really strong.
    - Work in a collaborative, chill atmosphere. While everyone wants to build something great, people are very relaxed at work, which fosters a friendly, warm and collaborative environment. It's driven by the personalities of the founders.
    - Have a meaningful impact on people's lives. We're helping our customers accomplish some of their most important projects (e.g., putting a new roof over their home or planning their wedding). We're also helping our professionals grow their businesses and put food on the table for their families. This is really gratifying. And it's not just for people right around us in SF, but it's happening across the country.

Cons

- While the team is long on smarts, it's not very experienced. For people early in their career, there's plenty of mentorship, but for those who have some experience, it's hard to find a lot of mentorship within the company. The team is actively looking to bring in more experienced team members, which should change this balance in the next few months.