Tiffany & Co. - Santa's Little Helpers | Glassdoor

"Santa's Little Helpers"

Former Contractor - Seasonal Operations Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
Former Contractor - Seasonal Operations Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Tiffany & Co. as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Awesome discount on TCO products
+ Knowledgable Staff and Management
+ Good introduction to the luxury retailing environment, great possibility to learn a lot about the company and their procedures in a very short amount of time

Cons

+ Seasonal employees are NOT valued or respected, I was called an "Elf" "Santa's Elf" and "Santa's Little Helper" by multiple managers and regular employees.
+ Position responsibilities are redundant, tirelessly technical, and offer very little room for creativity or personal growth. You act as Tiffany's primary wrapping and shipping department.
+ No chance for advancement in this particular situation. During the interview and initial training, all the seasonals were told about the possibilities that we could be hired as regular, full-time employees, but during our time it was made very obvious that positions were not available. None of the seasonal employees from my location, or neighboring locations that I know of were hired regularly, despite high performance remarks. Don't expect a job offer even if you're great.
+ Business Formal dress code. For seasonal employees, it may be a big drawback to invest in expensive, tailored clothing for a temporary position.
+ Retail working schedule, so you work weekends. This is not so bad if it's a temporary stint.
+ Professional training methods are neglected for seasonal employees. You're expected to hit the ground running.

Advice to Management

Streamline your training for seasonal employees within the Operations department. We trained with sales professionals, and a lot of the training wasn't as valuable as hands-on instruction in Operations would have been. Everything we needed to learn in Operations was taught in bits and pieces from current Operations staff just as various tasks needed to be completed. Many mistakes could have been avoided if training were focused on operations, and each of the processes were taught from start to finish.

Other Employee Reviews for Tiffany & Co.

1. "A Brief Tenure"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Tiffany & Co. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A chance to engage with a diverse and interesting array of customers while selling beautiful designs.

Cons

Security driven and stressful work environment.

Advice to Management

More training as to actual product lines and less emphasis on the sales experience.

2. "Great company, conscious of improving"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong brand which permeates the company culture. Company continues to grow in tough times. Strong senior management team with vision of the brand. Professional environment. Pinnacle of the industry. Company conducts regular employee surveys to better understand where improvements need ot be made, especially in regards to culture and values. Great benefits. Great people. People tend to be very loyal so there is a lot of longevity with the company.

Cons

Strong brand leads at times to thinking of there is a "Tiffany" way, sometimes causing resistance to change, but that is slowly changing for the positive. Technology has a low value. Can be slow in terminating truly poor performers. Advancement is available but tough because of the longevity of people.

Advice to Management

Make the technology investments today to ensure competitiveness tomorrow.