Time Warner Cable - Mediocre to OK | Glassdoor

"Mediocre to OK"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Time Warner Cable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are better than most call centers but that's not saying much. Probably fine if you're young and don't need much in the way of specialized care. If you have any sort of chronic condition you'll be paying a lot out of pocket which will severely cut into already meager pay. Pay is bare survival level, at least in a higher cost city like Austin. Free cable is nice but you are charged for DVR boxes and extra fast internet speeds. Fellow employees are usually very nice people.

Cons

Terrible work hours; shifts change every 6 months, sometimes sooner. Even if you're in the top percentiles you won't get the shift you'd really like. Management is all over the place; my supervisor happens to be good, I've heard differently from other employees. You are forced to make sales attempts to everyone that calls in, even people that are habitually delinquent in accounts or senile people who have no comprehension of the services they have or how to use them. Sales representatives are habitually untruthful with new subscribers and leave out information on critical installation and set up fees so customers are furious when they are promised a very low service rate and are unpleasantly surprised when they receive their first bill. Advancement is made very difficult by having to adhere to niggling micro managed rules about compliance and customer satisfaction surveys. There is no contingency for any major screw up by either agents or installer, something that happens constantly.

Advice to Management

Spend a day each month on the phone just like a Customer Service Agent and see the reality of what CSRs have to deal with. Get score on phone calls just the way CSRs are scored and see how well YOU do.

Other Employee Reviews for Time Warner Cable

"Like working fast food with more stress"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Time Warner Cable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free cable - good heath benefits

Cons

Well - for the inbound sales department you must follow their sales position failure to do so gets you written up - never mind that the idea is sales - you must sell as if you are a used car salesman. That is pretty much their procedure.

Advice to Management

Get a clue - that the customers wanted to be treated with respect and courteous not like a pawn at a used car dealer - take some input from the peons - you might be surprised how smart many of them are.

"It's a job."

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Time Warner Cable full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits are good. I know what and when I'm getting paid.

Cons

I'm a technician. Long hours, lots of stress. Forget having a life during the work week. Almost never get off on time, so forget about scheduling anything after work on a work day. Supervisors treat you like a recruit in boot camp. Nothing is asked of you, it's just barked at you, demanded or not to question why. Zero contingency plans for when people call off work. They just divy up their workload between the people that come to work. So you often have to do more in lees time and work late picking up others slack. Too little pay for the amount of stress and work load, personal sacrifices, and knowledge and skill you need to be a good technician. And you're almost always the only face a customer sees representig the company, so you have to have great people skills. Our supervisors do not have time or patience to effectively supervise because they are either in meetings all the time and constantly have to worry about their daily, weekly and monthly numbers and metrics. Or they are off work or don't work the same days as you and cannot be reached. We also lose benefits every few years. I used to not pay for cable and got on-demand movies half price. Now I have a cable bill a few dollars less than customers. While the company reaps huge profits. Free service was a selling point for me to hire on. There's almost no opportunities for advancement. I've been denied lateral moves within the company because either my repeat rates on service calls were too high once or twice during the last year (and anything can raise your repeat rates.Bad equipment,customer calling back with a question or clerical issue and customer service schedules a service call again because they don't know what to do, it all will effect your chances for a raise, a bonus, another position), which had nothing to do with the position I was applying for, or "other candidates were more qualified". It's just a lot of bs to put up with for 6 years of service and $15.00 an hour.

Advice to Management

Communicate with the people who are the backbone of your company. Stop taking benefits from us. Hire more people. Manage our department better so we can work more efficiently with less stress.