Time Warner Cable - Seems great in the beginning, becomes extremely stressful. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Time Warner Cable

"Seems great in the beginning, becomes extremely stressful."

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Albany, NY
Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Albany, NY

I worked at Time Warner Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Major discounted services, Helpful Supervisors, Good pay for a first time full-time job

Cons

This is the lengthy part. Starting out they pay you $14.50 for your first 5 weeks or so, the trainers talk your ears off about how great the company is and attempt to teach you how to sell. Really, all your doing is learning the billing system you don't learn anything until you hit the phones. My biggest problem is that myself and many other employees eventually come to learn that calls are without a doubt filtered. Some days you you literally will get 30 calls not that don't have an ounce of opportunity to sell on, while the person sitting next to you receives calls regarding new service/upgrades. Management will tell you until they're blue in the face that everyone gets the same volume which is not true what so ever and its the primary reason I left. To add to that while your in "nesting" (the training phase on the phones) your given all opportunities to sell, for example my first commission check was a considerable amount, and as soon as training ended even after gaining experience most calls were impossible to upsell and make yourself money. All this made the job extremely stressful, and made it clear that certain employees recieved got better opportunities than others who actually know how to sell.

Advice to Management

Stop filtering calls and coming up with excuses former and current employees are all aware it happens. Also come up with better ways to protect sales agents from getting sales stolen by other employees who simply re-key an order and attach their sales ID. Shift bidding is also done at very inconvenient times of the year. Part-time positions should be considered as well.

Other Employee Reviews for Time Warner Cable

"TWC = Things Will Change"

Former Employee - Retention Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Retention Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Time Warner Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Decent base pay
    - Clean office

Cons

The worst part was that the job I was offered at the time of hiring and the job they wanted me to do when I hit the floor were not the same. I was hired to do retention, to keep customers from disconnecting services. The job turned out to be talking to customers whose rate was increasing - and then to get them to pay even more!

Training, while extensive, covered mostly the billing system and very little sales technique.

Advice to Management

Don't re-assign folks randomly; put them where they can play to their strengths. Sales is not for everyone.

2. "A great place to build and start a career."

Pros

compensation free lunches and lots of giveaways

Cons

Management can sometimes mirco manage. The company seems to go through a lot of reorganizations.