Timken - Eventually the entire company will be located in India | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Timken

"Eventually the entire company will be located in India"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Canton, OH
Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Canton, OH

Pros

Good benefits and they try to treat customers very ethically. Some of the greatest Engineering minds in America work here. They make some of America's best steel through long term experience.

Cons

Timken is 20 years behind the times - but they are catching up slowly. Any job that can be moved to India either has moved or is going to be moved. They complain about foreign companies dumping bearings into their USA market but then they move jobs to China and India.

Advice to Management

Jim Griffith - if you keep moving al the jobs to India, eventually you will have to move there yourself or perhaps they could just hire someone from there at a greatly reduced salary to replace you.

Other Employee Reviews for Timken

1. "Senior Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Canton, OH

Pros

flexible hours, responsibilities, car, bonus, epense account

Cons

Hours, travel at poor times, responsibility, pressure.

Advice to Management

When reducing the work force, remember to pay those who are still there fairly for taking on the role of 2 or more people.

2. "So far, so good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH

Pros

I haven't been there long, but so far it's been a great environment. Learning and development are encouraged and managers try to make sure employees they find roles for employees that ensure they are challenged. I've sought out new opportunities within my role and haven't had any trouble getting them. I've been given a lot of responsibility, which I really like and which has given me exposure to upper level management as well.

Since the company is so large, there are plenty of opportunities to move around among different functional areas. In fact, that's encouraged because it makes a more well-rounded employee. Managers are supportive of these types of moves, or stretch assignments. I have found there is always an open dialogue about what I want in my career and what type of support I will need in order to get it. I feel very supported.

Cons

Communication could be better. The company is very conservative, so some areas of the business feel that they haven't been told about certain issues. The management team likes to keep things quiet, but as an employee, I would rather have a full understanding of what is going on so I feel more connected with the company.

In addition, since the company is so conservative, I've found that the culture isn't very diverse. At least that's what I've found in my building. I would prefer to find myself in an environment that is more culturally and ethnically diverse since that could lead to more well-rounded perspectives in decision-making processes.

Advice to Management

Try to have more open communication with the employees. The more information employees have, the better they understand how their jobs fit within the business and, usually, the better they perform.

Try to place more focus on recruiting for a more diverse work-place.

Face time seems to be valued a lot. I value working smarter, not harder, so it can be frustrating that many employees work from home after the work day ends or over the weekend. It's also frustrating that that behavior is expected. Try to place more emphasis on efficient work rather than time spent on the work - you will attract better employees that way.