Toast Inc - The rocketship that just keeps on flying | Glassdoor

"The rocketship that just keeps on flying"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm thrilled to be a part of the Toast family. Since starting here, I've seen the company evolve from bands of engineers to highly disciplined, cross-functional teams. The opportunity that we have to become the leader in the restaurant POS industry is the kind that you're lucky to see even once in your career. It remains a privilege to work alongside the incredibly talented team here. Things haven't always been... perfect. The last time I reviewed Toast, I had to include a few cons: that work/life balance could sometimes be stretched, that there was no 401k matching, and that compensation relative to the industry was a little on the low side. Management here listens, and the proof of that is that a little over a year later, all of those concerns have been addressed. Compensation, including equity, feels right for Boston. The 401K match was overdue, but is finally here. The hiring of additional engineering leadership has helped make individual teams function more efficiently and plan their workloads better. We do stupid things a lot less often. For those of us who have been around longer, we are even now also offered a "Toast sabbatical", a one-month long paid vacation provided in additional to your normal annual PTO.

Cons

This is not the kind of workplace you can expect to perform the bare minimum in. Is that even a con?

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The time spent addressing employees concerns has not gone unnoticed.

Toast Inc2019-02-15
  1. "The Best Place To Work"

Current Employee - BDR in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture, team attitude, no ego, work hard play hard

Cons

None it’s the best place

Toast Inc2019-09-25

"Great Product - Ok Leadership - Below Avg. Pay"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Toast Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

The product is years ahead of most competitors. The potential upside is massive. Tons of green space.

Cons

- Far too corporate for what they tout as a place to grow your career quickly - Compensation - Limited Stock Options: act like they are already a publicly traded company and don't use this strategically to incentivize employees to stay. - Time to Pay - Atrocious - Limited Career Growth - Nothing Defined Internally - Sales Leadership is "ehhh" - not impressed - Chris CEO, enjoys the limelight doesn't really... provide much substance.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to scale from other successful SaaS companies in the area. Hire a more tenured Growth Ops Team. Be more transparent about short comings and don't present everything through a rose colored lens (we aren't stupid). Pay your sales org. Next 6 months are crucial.

Toast Inc2019-11-14

Discover more reviews about Toast Inc.