Tom James Company - If you're not motivated by cash and can't give 100% dedication, avoid this company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Tom James Company

"If you're not motivated by cash and can't give 100% dedication, avoid this company"

Current Employee - Professional Clothier in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Professional Clothier in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on semi-decent clothes
Opportunity to make a lot of money
Some freedom to plan your schedule
Simple to learn how to sell their product
Fun to be out of the office for most the day
Customer sales requires one on one engagement with top executives

Cons

Don't be surprised when you come to the conclusion that this company just might be a modern-day cult in the form of a corporation.

I had to wear their clothes, recite daily affirmations in front of others ("I can see the money coming into my bank account"), and recruit new members. I had to keep a binder full of images of things I wanted to buy once I was successful. I also attended a sales conference where, as a "rookie" we were taught by a former pastor how to schedule our day including when to wake-up, spend time with our family, eat, work, sleep. I witnessed "successful" sales people getting on stage to give their testimonial of how Tom James has changed their life, saving them from moral and financial ruin.

While I was quick to think "these people are nuts!", I later came to realize that it was really a matter of this company and job not being for me. I noticed that those who excelled and really stuck with Tom James tended to be people who previously lacked discipline and hadn't yet found success in their lives.

But note, some people are VERY successful in this company and that is great. What isn't great is their showcasing in your face all that they have acquired as a result of their success (cars, houses, trips...) in hopes that you will become motivated and inspired to do the same.

So, it made sense that a company that offers full life planning and holds you accountable for your own success would be attractive to certain individuals.

On other notes:
I only visited two offices, but like others have mentioned, it was a depressing nightmare - extremely outdated technology, worn-down fixtures, and embarrassingly dated training materials (we're talking VHS).

Don't be fooled, there is a hint of a pyramid set-up here. Nothing illegal, but a hierarchy of commissions and cuts that flow upwards as you build out your own sales team.

Expect the company to provide a response to these points, as they should. But be sure to understand exactly what they are saying. Nothing in my review is false or in any way exaggerated. It is all based on my personal experience with the firm.

Advice to Management

Avoid the intimidation tactic of retaining and motivating employees. Provide better prospecting tools.

Other Employee Reviews for Tom James Company

"100 % commission"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you learn how to run a business

Cons

no money, 100 % commissions, unprofessional work environment.

Advice to Management

people need a base salary to live in

2. "Extremely performance-driven company, great culture, very entrepreneurial with a lot of new opportunities."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For a company this large, there's a very entrepreneurial, flexible atmosphere.
    You're managed by clear expectations and easy-to-prove results.
    Management opportunities increase as you reach objective performance milestones and reflect the company's business principles.
    Really great culture.
    After you get 300 or so clients, the day to day is sort of like driving around hanging out with friends and mentors. Clients are really successful people.

Cons

It's a tough job—a lot of prospecting, takes time and a ton of hard work to build a clientele.
    You have to be willing to pick up the phone, make a lot of dials, and handle a lot of rejection.
    It's more than just pure sales. You have to manage an entire business: customer service, measuring/fitting, A/R, monitoring your P&L statements, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to update and innovate.