Tom James Company - Principal Centered Company | Glassdoor

"Principal Centered Company"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

After 3 years with TJ, I feel qualified to give honest feedback. When I started, I didn’t think that I would be with TJ for my whole career. I was just taking a job. I realized that this company is not an ordinary company - it is based on principals. I learned very quickly to either apply these principals or disregard them. I am thankful that I have chosen to apply the principals. As with any career, they will work very successfully if they are applied. I have been blessed because of my clients, my hard work and my support from accounting, our factories and my leadership. Since I have been with TJ, I have been able to buy a new house, a new car and travel all over, which has all happened during a very difficult economic time. All this has been accomplishable not because of me, but because of applying principals. I believe in the motto “you don’t build companies, you build people and people build companies.” I am thankful to be a part of this company.

Cons

This is a client building business. There is no question that my first year took a great deal of work. Much like a first year lawyer at a major law firm or a doctor in the first year of their practice, you must build a great foundation. This job will also have a tendency to cause your weaknesses to surface, which for me was beneficial - it helped me to realize what I needed to work on. Lastly, this is a client building business, so I did have to learn how to take client criticism properly. I now realize they weren't trying to criticize me, they were just trying to help me grow.

Advice to Management

Please continue to grow people by tying them to principals.

Other Employee Reviews for Tom James Company

1. "Tom James is an incredible place to build a career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have been at Tom James for 6 years and it has been an incredible experience. What attracted me to Tom James was the idea of having my own business with the support of a big company. The clientele that we get to work with are the finest in the city. They are not only extremely successful; they are intelligent, charismatic and keep a great attitude on life. My favorite part is getting to know these wonderful people and then providing them with gorgeous clothing.

Cons

The cons of any sales job is you are your own worst enemy. I have a struggle of taking the pressure off myself. As a company they are good at giving recognition and of course, that always makes me want to do better each time.

The other con is the company can put pressure on you to get into management. However, if you are firm with how you stand, in the end they respect your opinion.

Advice to Management

I have a wonderful manager-keep up the great work! I feel very confident with Tom James and my career with this company.

2. "A GREAT Place to work and Build a Long Term Career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It's like building your own business from scratch, with someone else footing the bill. All of the expenses of starting your own business are covered by the Company. It's a client building business, and once you establish a clientele, the job becomes very simple. Most people no longer make any cold calls after their first 18 months, unless they opt for leadership and training opportunities. You have the ability to build an organization of people to work for you and the average income per person you hire is $9K per year. Very Nice! It is truly a work place that you can honestly can call home. I will never work anywhere else.

Cons

Like any client building business, it is hard work in the beginning. You have to prospect and make phone calls to get started. The Company provides all the tools and resources to begin your career, but you have to do the work. There isn't any micro managing, so your success depends on your own self discipline. If you need someone to babysit you and tell you to go to work every day, then this job isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.! Tom James is a company that is run on principles and positive attitudes. The Company has been around for over 44 years, and the average incomes of a typical 5 year sales reps is well over $100K per year. The Company is financially solid and the stock value has maintained consistency despite this economic times. There are very few companies that didn't have decreases in 2008 and 2009.