Tommy Bahama - A brand whose culture & passion is driving positive change | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Tommy Bahama

"A brand whose culture & passion is driving positive change"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Guest experience is the number one priority. Empowered to go above & beyond for our Guest which is incredibly rare in retail. There is a palpable level of excitement from the current store managers & store teams surrounding the companies growth which brings new opportunities! Fresh ideas are a welcome change, it's nice to shake things up a bit & watch the company evolve.

Cons

With any major changes there can be bumps along the way. But this is another way Tommy Bahama stands out in that you can reach out and get a response almost immediately each time. What company do you know that you could pick up a phone & ask a director of a department a question about an issue you are experiencing in store?
I do wish we could pilot some of the major changes in the field a bit more to work out the kinks.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay rooted in our rich brand history while innovating and inspiring our teams to make positive changes!

Other Employee Reviews for Tommy Bahama

"A company that empowers its team to be leaders"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been in the retail industry for ten years now, and have worked for four different retail companies. I'm proud to say that I currently work for Tommy Bahama. Although previous comments have stated differently, I can speak to the fact that my career has been challenging and rewarding at the same time, and it's been the best decision I have made in my professional career.
       From my previous retail experiences, expectations from a manager have been very black and white. I grew accustom to saying "no" to customers and going to work each day with a robot mentality. Since joining Tommy Bahama, I've been empowered to make every guest happy, and go above and beyond to create an experience different from every other retailer out there.
      I could see where some individuals may have a difficult time working under a retail environment that has such a large amount of grey area for decision making. If you're more comfortable with a clear definition as to what is considered right or wrong, this will not be a company for you. If you feel comfortable making quick decisions to please your guests, and want to always make every situation a positive one, you will thrive with Tommy Bahama.
       The company is far from being too "corporate," and I'm not only able to, but encouraged, to reach out to everyone at the home office level when need be. I have direct communication with buyers, HR, Payroll, Retail Operations, etc, who assist me with whatever is needed for myself to run a successful business. My Regional Manager is there for me when needed, and best of all, I am not micromanaged.
       There have been many comments discussing the loss of the culture of the brand, but I've never seen so many people so passionate about a brand, and wanting it to succeed. I've personally gone to get coffee for our guests, went to other retailers, walked bags to the car, made reservations at our flagship store in NYC,whatever it takes to make our brand stand out. I don't do this because I'm told to do it, I do it because I know that I am an important part of our culture and I care for the company. I'm growing a loyal guest who is passionate about a company that I am equally passionate about.
       Have there been some changes in the company that have been made? Yes. Have some of these changes come with some hiccups along the way? Absolutely. I would not be truthful if I were to say that all changes have been easy, but at the end of the day, they have made the day-to-day process more consistent, and easier to follow up with (consistency is a big part of running a successful business.) They have also minimized the amount of time I've needed to spend in the office, allowing more time developing my managers and assisting guests in the store. To be honest, many of the changes, from the hiring process to the supply ordering process were needed, and should have been updated way sooner than they took place.
      Callouts with new upper management is borderline ridiculous. One of the biggest mistakes a company could ever make is to not be openminded to new opinions and ideas from others. I have worked for previous companies who only believe in promotion from within, and the problem with this is it only fosters a one sided view of running a business. The reality is, others experiences can only help in the development of a company.

Cons

I believe the company has been too cautious when it comes to terminating employees with a negative view of running a business. Many managers have a false entitlement that comes with their tenure, and take out their anger on others. Rather than be openminded with change, they are quick to discount opinions of others, and invest more time in challenging everything rather than trying new techniques that are intended to make their work lives easier.

Advice to Management

Guests love the contest that we run in stores! Anything that can drive excitement around the brand is a good idea. Continue to give stores the resources needed to build a guest base, such as GWP's and bounce back cards, it drives repeat business.

"Paradise!"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, with a clear vision and rich brand history that inspires not only its guests, but also its employees to make life one long weekend. Working at Tommy Bahama at the store level you are empowered to always do whats right for the guest and the needs of the business. The level of engagement and energy from the directors and upper management is nothing short of inspiring. The company is evolving and there are endless possibilities for those that are opened minded and ready to provide a world class experience!

Cons

There are some in the company that seem to be threatened by change and that are set in their ways, even if their way isn't whats best for the guest and vision of the company and believe that they are entitled due to their tenure with the company. Be open minded and be willing to collaborate with others that have, and can bring a fresh perspective on driving a world class experience.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! The energy and passion is contagious and can be felt at the store level which in turn, translates to the guests. Store contests and social media generates a ton of excitement around a great brand to work for!