Tompkins Cortland Community College - Extremely well run and responsive place. Support is exceptional, Little chances of a full time job though. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Tompkins Cortland Community College

"Extremely well run and responsive place. Support is exceptional, Little chances of a full time job though."

Current Employee - Adjunct in Dryden, NY
Current Employee - Adjunct in Dryden, NY

Pros

The technical support and IT support are phenomenal.
Support from Dean of instruction is exceptional.
Very frinedly place to work at.
Very responsive to solving scheduling issues.
The management is looking for input and new ideas and not only do they take it into consideration, but also implement them.
Lots of room for personal initiative.

Cons

More adjuncts than full timefaculty, therefore very little chance of becoming full time.
Adjuncts are limited to teaching 11.25 credits, which in sciences with labs translates to no more than 2 courses (4.5 credits/course).

Advice to Management

Allow science adjuncts to teach 13.5 credits so we can teach three courses. Stick to your faculty contracts and have less than 2x as many adjuncts per faculty in each department. You are losing many good people by having no chances of full time jobs. You might be saving on benefits in the short run, but it will bite you later because there is no continuation to courses taught by adjuncts that move on to other institutions.

Other Employee Reviews for Tompkins Cortland Community College

1. "Fair experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dryden, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dryden, NY

Pros

The work schedules are flexible, which is obviously a pro if you're a student there like I was, and you get time off during breaks. Staff is usually friendly.

Cons

There were few advancement opportunities, and (for my job, at least) no benefits were offered. The work environment is sorta ugly. TC3 isn't exactly the prettiest locale though, so that's only to be expected.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to offer, really, but I guess if I have to, I'll say that more benefits should be offered for student workers. Maybe instead of getting a paycheck, the pay could be deducted from one's tuition and fees.

2. "Assistant"

I worked at Tompkins Cortland Community College part-time

Pros

Everyone is always positive and willing to help one another.

Cons

No cons to be found!