Employee Review

Current Employee, more than 3 years

Top Hat Isn't Just a Paycheck: It's My Passion

Jul 22, 2021 - National Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

I couldn't be prouder to work for Top Hat. Not only do I have the chance to sell an active learning platform that improves student outcomes, but I also get to sell cutting edge digital anti-racist readers and public speaking textbooks that celebrate the incredible diversity of American and Canadian students. As a former college composition instructor, I'm excited to work for a company that takes seriously its role in helping to improve higher education in the 21st century. For me, this isn't merely a job; it's a calling.

Cons

Like any company that has grown rapidly over the past few years, they've definitely experienced some growing pains. That said, there's a great executive team in place now who takes seriously the concerns of its employees.

5 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Rare and exciting environment!

Nov 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Denver office (and company as a whole) provides a really amazing opportunity to learn and grow your own skill sets. What I like most about the Denver office is that we're a diamond in the rough amongst other startups in the area. While being thrown into a young 8-12 person company might be attractive, Top Hat provides something one step further. Our office provides the small team vibe and mentality that others can provide, but we top it off with structure and knowledge that others might not be able to provide yet! At any given time in any role, you will be faced with many different challenges. One of many things that stand out to me about Top Hat is our support for one another. We have AMAZING managers who have answers and solutions to not only help you in your role but to lay the groundwork to get you where you want to be in the long term regarding your career goals.

Cons

The atmosphere at a high paced and rapidly growing company can be a lot to handle at times. Lucky, we're not approaching hiring like others might be. We're not necessarily looking for a "startup veteran" who has been in the game while! Top Hat is a great place to grow. If you see a posting that speaks to your skillset but challenges you at the same time, this is the place for you!

Continue reading
    6 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Dysfunctional, but vibrant

Jul 7, 2021 - National Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you don't quit because of how dysfunctional this place is, you will be promoted. You have to know how to ride a wave, be patient, and ignore the fact that this company has no clue how higher ed publishing typically works, yet is able to compete. Rules of engagement are as counterproductive as can be. Sales people leave in droves. It's a constant hiring process.

Cons

People are super-nice, salary is excellent, and if you ever make a sale, the commission will be wonderful. So far I witnessed sales in Florida and Texas, which is typical.

Continue reading
    5 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Top Hat.