Topco Associates - Culture of Fear! RUNNNNNN FAR FAR AWAY. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Topco Associates

"Culture of Fear! RUNNNNNN FAR FAR AWAY."

Former Employee - Food Technologists in Skokie, IL
Former Employee - Food Technologists in Skokie, IL

I worked at Topco Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Vacation Benefits, Free Food

Cons

When I was first hired, I was promised good learning opportunites and the ability to train in different areas. But there was no time to learn anything. They need more people to get the job done properly. I worked in the lab and the micromanagement style there was so clausterpobic. It is run by a V.P. who tries to implement too many changes too quickly and who ignores you/gives you the silent treatment if you make a mistake. Many people told me my first week there that you know that you haven't worked for Topco if "You haven't cried at least once at Work." At least 30% of the food techologists have quit in the past 2 years.

The company has poor planning and poor communication. For example, they spent tens of thousands of dollars on a new lab but then ended up moving to a new building.

Other Employee Reviews for Topco Associates

"Salary was OK, Environment was Good, a LOT of deadweight, especially on the Senior Manager level and above"

Current Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Braintree, MA

I have been working at Topco Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours (the work-life balance is why everyone that is there stays)
    Decent Pay
    The Benefits are not bad.

Cons

Management often promotes people based on politics, not skill
    A lot of deadweight
    A lot of empty promises (it was always surprising to see who got promoted.)
    One Director doesn't do anything, eveyone knows it, but he doesn't get fired because he has been there forever. (which kills morale)

Advice to Management

Find a way too keep your good employees. Fire the deadweight.

2. "Great Learning experience. Great place to begin a career and, take knowledge to other companies."

Former Employee - Buyer's Assistant/Member Service Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Buyer's Assistant/Member Service Associate in Skokie, IL

Pros

Provide tools needed to advance in your career. I started in the treasury department in 2008, with very little experience. I ended in the procurement department in 2010.

Very family orientated. For example; children of co-workers allowed to trick-or-treat at the office. My kids received more candy at the office, than they ever did going door-to-door. Also, when I got married, they gave me a bridal shower.

Cons

Unfortunately, company was going through a re-constructing. Many employees forced to retire(those who have been with the company 10 + years). Company hired a lot of newer people to do the work for less money. Also, company consolidated positions. Thus, what was once done by two to three people, now being forced to be done by one.

Advice: Learn as much as you can as fast as you can. Take knowledge to another company.

Advice to Management

Widen the channels of communication with your subordinates. The is why the treasury department ran so smoothly.