Total Wine & More - Too many chiefs not enough indians. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More

"Too many chiefs not enough indians."

Current Employee - Wine Team Member
Current Employee - Wine Team Member

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wine education and developing customer relationships. I love helping our customers discover new wines or finding a different wine to enjoy. Learning and talking about wine is my passion.

Cons

Unrealistic company policies.

Inadequate staffing. One or two wine associates to cover 25,000sq ft of retail space, plus work merchandise (because there are no merchandisers) plus perform other daily tasks and maintain a high percentage of winery direct sales...and effectively help customers, is completely unrealistic.

Store managers sit in front office, hide away in the classroom or receiving because they are on "project hours" and cannot be bothered. This is very frustrating to team members who feel overworked and physically exhausted. There are many times associates are on the brink of quitting and /or very frustrated over the lack of support from management.

Management on every level seems to be out of touch with how their team members are feeling about their job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We are the key to your success. We want to meet our store goals as much as you do. Be in tune with what it means to be a TEAM.

Other Employee Reviews for Total Wine & More

"Its all about the money"

Current Employee - Wine Grunt
    Current Employee - Wine Grunt

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The free wine doesn't even matter anymore...... I am losing my family and have lost my personal life over this job.

Cons

Not enough people or hours to perform duties or treat customers with proper attention. How can one associate service a 25k sales floor, stock shelves, help customers and answer phones?

There is never a sense of accomplishment after a hard days work. This means a 10-12 hour shift with one 30 min break. Management always hangs a threat over your head to do more with less,
    while office brass brags about increased profit levels and growth.

Everywhere it reeks of penny wise and pound foolish. I have had customers make sympathetic comments to myself and others. Benefits are nil, a meager 401k match, (if you can even afford to contribute), no paid sick time, holidays are only paid IF you work them.......Have you ever heard of a company with an unpaid Christmas day? I have lived it.

It's all about the bait and switch sales model, with a berating by management if the customer cannot be convinced not to purchase and advertised item. Sales quotas are tracked daily, and god forbid a customer purchases what we advertise to reel them in in large quantities.

Management has no spine to speak up the ladder for more hours or better treatment so we can service the customer and perform our tasks in less than a frenzy.

Advice to Management

You are training very good sales people, and many of us will be valued by other employers for our skills. It is a shame that you do not see that we are human beings and deserve to be treated better.

"Avoid at all costs."

Current Employee - FETM
    Current Employee - FETM

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A discount, which you will need as this job will surely drive you to drink. Additionally, this company invests in its employees by training, imparting good knowledge about the products....but it's all in the name of driving sales.

Cons

Everything else. Long hours....I regularly work 10-11 hours and during that time will receive one 30 minute break. Heaven help you if you need to use the restroom or get some water. It's also not out of the ordinary to close one night, only to be scheduled to open the next. Managers do NOT care about their staff at all, nor are they willing to do the same work they expect of their staff. Our store manager in particular leaves the store hours before the end of their shift on a regular basis, leaving the rest of the staff in a lurch. If they are not leaving early, they're constantly outside taking smoke breaks. As a FETM, I am expected to wait on customers and answer busy phones at the same time, which may not sound like much but in fact is very distracting. One lousy 25 cent raise was my reward for a year of hard work, dependability and commitment. Work-life balance? They don't believe in it.

Advice to Management

Why bother....all they care about is the bottom line. This clearly does not involve caring about their employees.