Total Wine & More - Wine Associate | Glassdoor

"Wine Associate"

Former Employee - Wine Associate in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Wine Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Total Wine & More part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are great about helping you learn about the wines they sell. They do promote from with in but only to a certain point. After you reach a "key holder" position you really have to suck up to someone to keep moving up.

Cons

If a complaint is filed by a customer you WILL be written up even if you had no control over the situation, or even if you were doing what you were supposed to do. Three write ups and you are fired.
Don't even bother trying to go anywhere during a holiday, Black out days are the biggest hassle at Total Wine. To make it even worse the schedules for the next week are not given out until Thursday so you can't even plan for the next week.

Advice to Management

Stand behind your employees, many of us truly do enjoy working for you. The way scheduling is done needs to be changed. A two week advance schedule would be perfect. Employees should also be able to take off on black out periods on a first come first serve basis.

Other Employee Reviews for Total Wine & More

"Nightmare on Wine Street"

Former Employee - Manager in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only thing I can come up with is Wine for Life and learning about wine.

Cons

See my review. Hard to find anything nice to say.

Advice to Management

Don’t go there!!!! Run!! Take every bad review on here and magnify it by a million and that is how awful it is. I was an experienced manager but treated like I had never worked a day in my life. Micromanaged every single second. Work hours is 50 hours a week (mandatory) for all managers and above. So, you get a half hour for lunch and you are at work 10.5 days Monday through Friday. Now, everyone knows that as a manager, you don’t always have an 8 hour day but when you HAVE to be at work 10.5 hours a day every single day, it wears on you. Listen to this, I was given the opportunity to work a ‘normal’ 45 hour a week like everyone else below the manager grade BUT with a reduced salary. Yep, so even though I was salaried, HR was going to reduce my salary if I went from a 50 hour to 45 hour week. I used to love the Total Wine stores but since my corporate experience there it makes me not even want to go to the stores anymore. I cannot even believe that this type of management is still around. Oh, and don’t think I am afraid of hard work. I just finished a 4 week stint working 7 days a week and 11 – 12 hours a day to finish a project at work. I didn’t mind it at all. Here’s the difference, I am appreciated where I now work, I can think on my own, I am valued – makes a big difference. However, change starts from the top down and I am not sure there will be any for a very long time. Owners wont even acknowledge you. HR could be instruments of change in an organization but they breed this contempt. Get a clue!

2. "It's just a job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time

Pros

Most people that you work with are nice. Job is relatively easy and not stressful. Average discount, good pay, good hours (if you're full time), and good benefits.

Cons

Management take their jobs way to seriously. They like to get on you for the smallest things. Upper management is clueless and often bullies. Wine associates are favored over all other employees in the store, and most customers are just plain rude.

Advice to Management

Instead of barking orders and threatening punishment, try working with the employees and giving them constructive advice as to what they can improve in the future.