Total Wine & More - Stressful and oppressive | Glassdoor

"Stressful and oppressive"

Former Employee - Front End Team Member
Former Employee - Front End Team Member

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free wine, good employee discount.

Cons

Very difficult and needy, affluent customers. Oppressive company culture. No consistency in schedule. Upper level management very inconsiderate of mid and low level employees. Owners would stop by with very little notice, right before store closing, etc. Worst time of my life.

Advice to Management

Consider a raise wage for low level employees. Give better holiday bonuses to full time cashiers and merchandisers. Treat employees like people.

Other Employee Reviews for Total Wine & More

"A swing and a miss"

Pros

Paying more than minimum wage, Total Wine has an excellent reputation for enforcement of policies and laws. Bonuses are well-advertised but definitely earned. No nepotism.

Cons

Management always seems to be playing a game... Employees can easily get "stuck" in their title and rank, getting overlooked for not being well-rounded in their skills. There is also a clear difference in the employees with work ethic and the ones without. The ones with seem to be getting worked to death.

Advice to Management

Don't treat every employee the same. Your retention is a joke, really. Demanding a labor force of a 21 pool requires way more than paying more than minimum wage. For instance, kids who work for you who graduate college are given the option to remain in poverty with the company or move on. Why not give them a REAL opportunity to find their place in the fast-growing corporation?

"I don't recommend it."

Current Employee - Cashier/Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Cashier/Merchandiser

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay: They pay above minimum wage, which is nice.
    Classes: If you want to learn, the opportunity is there. You can attend the wine, beer, and spirits classes they host for free (if there's room).
    That's about the end of it.

Cons

Hours: They may pay above minimum wage, but if you're part time, expect to get yanked around back and forth like a rag doll. I work two jobs, this being my second. I have limited availability, but even then, one week I'll have twenty hours, the next, I'll have five. There's nothing concrete and nothing guaranteed here.
    Management: Management tends to play favorites. If you aren't in the favorites, don't expect to get much opportunity to advance.
    Upper management: This was my biggest beef with the company. The people who run their different districts are inept. As a college graduate, I was appalled at the way some of them communicate. Spelling errors and grammatical mistakes galore. I can understand making the occasional mistake. We're all human after all, but not being able to spell the varietal of a wine you sell is appalling. Secondly, I complained about being harassed by another employee. I lodged a formal complaint, and corporate/upper management did nothing about it. So if you're a female, be prepared for them not to take you seriously. Additionally,The upper management will bend over backwards to please the customers, but it's usually at the expense of their employees. Don't expect to get backed up by a district manager when a customer harasses you.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect, and maybe they'll respect you back. Take your employees complaints seriously. The customer is not always right.