Total Wine & More - Great Learning experience | Glassdoor

"Great Learning experience"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Tustin, CA
Current Employee - Merchandiser in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to learn about the culture of alcohol. From wine to beer, there is a history behind it all and you pick much of it up

Cons

The management is very biased and one sided. Quite often it is felt like they do not consider our needs when making decisions.

Advice to Management

Scheduling should be done sooner

Other Employee Reviews for Total Wine & More

"Not what they say it is!!"

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair salary, free case of wine and free six pack of craft beer every month, wine education

Cons

No life balance, long hours, upper management does not work with its employees needs, unrealistic goals sent by upper management, many shady practices overlooked by company, forced to sell their partnered product and not what the consumer wants, and many more, to much to list.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, if you are looking for new ideas, and pride yourself on listening to your employees new ideas, then do it, don't just say it.

"Challenging, but overall a positive experience"

Former Employee - Manager II in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Manager II in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the corporate office, and I've never worked w/ a smarter group of people, and likely never will. I left for a different retail opportunity, and the talent level is nowhere near the same. I worked on the promotions team, which offered me the chance to manage a really talented group of people, and interact with all levels of Management. I also felt like my opinion mattered. Compensation was fine. No bonus (at the time I left for my level, this may have changed), but base pay was OK. The business model is great, and results while I was there were very good. The company feels like it is a safe place to work for long term security (if you don't burn out)

Cons

As many have noted, micro-managing was commonplace (not so much from my supervisor, but from levels above). Systems weren't great (I left in late 2012). My specific job required far too much busy work (my team was over-burdended) so I didn't have as much time to focus on big picture. Direction of the company was clear however, and as noted above w/ interaction w/ Sr Mgmt, when I could focus on big picture it was rewarding. Looking back after being gone for just over a year - I think the workload was overwhelming, and the focus was on getting tasks done. Not enough time was spent on planning and big picture, and part of that was system related.