Town Sports International Holdings - The people are great the wages are too low. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Town Sports International Holdings

"The people are great the wages are too low."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Great people and if you want to work long term in the fitness industry there are plenty of ways to advance.

Cons

You must personally initiate any moves you want to make horizontally in the organization, management does not actively look to advance hard-workers.

Advice to Management

Consider paying the front desk employees more, they have one of the most stressful jobs in the gym. The multi-tasking and first point of contact for any problems with the guests makes it a challenging position. Additionally, updating the technology used could minimize costs and improve services. For example having a computer system that can take online reservations for group exercise classes would greatly reduce the workload of the front desk staff; removing the constantly ringing phone from the equation means you could pay that position more while having less employees on the clock and saving the company money overall.

Other Employee Reviews for Town Sports International Holdings

1. "I lifeguard and tend to the pools and spas"

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Waltham, MA

Pros

Free membership, I really enjoy the coworkers as other down to earth people using BSC as a stepping stone in their career lives.

Cons

top-heavy in terms of management; an extremely noncompetitive pay. Lifeguards should receive >11$/hr and BSC starts at $9. Finding competent workers quickly who work for just about minimum wage, pay for their own certifications, recertifications, and professional development and also respect their workplace is impossible.

Advice to Management

When my raise is less than a quarter, you make it seem like you need the raise, and not me, when we both know that is not true. Be fair to you're workers and pay them the going rate. Lifeguards should not have to pay for their recertifications when they receive scarcely above minimum wage, especially since the members treat us as if we get paid $25/hr and deserve to be treated like minions.

2. "One of my worst experiences of my life."

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

Pros

You get a free gym membership. You can let someone you know into the gym and that is literally the only good things

Cons

The pay, the way upper management treat employees, the crappy hours. You will work at least 4 12-hour days in a month.