Town Sports International Holdings - ok | Glassdoor

"ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

free membership, decent salary, growth opportunities, however the company often does not set up employees for success and its hard to bonus

Cons

current set up makes it hard to bonus plus if you perform well one year it makes it hard for the following year

Advice to Management

do just enough to hit goal, don't set your self up for failure for the following year. expection is always higher

Other Employee Reviews for Town Sports International Holdings

"I feel no love for Boston Sports Club, where I teach group classes..."

Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Group Exercise Instructor in Providence, RI

Pros

-Large company name recognition
    -Positive consumer impression of company
    -Pretty simple in/out job

Cons

-Poor management- I am never clear who is "in charge", but one of the management people is unfriendly to me for no apparent reason. My manager is friendly but isn't able to provide helpful feedback or suggestions in order to raise my review scores.

Advice to Management

-Group exercise instructors should be given a different set of performance review criteria than other staff since we are usually only in the club for our classes.
    -Management needs more training to be supportive of instructors- the performance reviews give no constructive criticism and no opportunity for advancement/raise/objectives.
    -Considering my class student attendence is more than satisfactory, getting an annual raise of $1 each year is pitiful. There should be at least some other incentive/bonus.

2. "Consistently challenging and most of the time fun"

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Working in a gym with the right people can be very fun. There are some members of senior management that are excellent with substantial industry experience. Some are very invested in working with the club team members and making work fun and recognizing good performance.

Cons

The expectations can be very challenging. The current senior leadership team can not decide what their priorities are and thus the teams they hire for support to the field are inconsistent. Some senior leaders have no industry experience and they act as if they do. The support for the sales process is cumbersome and outdated and only useful for senior management to track their results not assist the field.

Advice to Management

make up your mind if we are sales focused or customer service focused. The level of support to do both is not adequate.