Toyota North America - Mediocre | Glassdoor

"Mediocre"

Current Employee - Specialist in Princeton, IN

Pros

TMMI offers great benefits, however when I first started the company all health benefits at no cost. Then they started charging a small amount and have since raised the amount a little more. The benefits are great and cover most expenses. Toyota as a company has a great track record for high job security. They just recently offered the 2nd buyout offer since Toyota has been in the US.

Cons

Currently there is a global hiring freeze and little to no chance of advancement. This is very discouraging when you had hopes of moving up the corporate ladder. I would also recommend senior management to lead more by example. Less meetings and more face time with the team members.

Advice to Management

lead by example, get active in the actual floor activity

Other Employee Reviews for Toyota North America

"Great plant but has a lot of growing up to do."

Current Employee - Specialist in Princeton, IN

Pros

Great non-exempt workforce. Never had a more satisfying experience than working with the T/M's that build the product.

Toyota as a whole is built on good fundamentals and the experience is challenging.

Cons

This is the second Toyota Manufacturing Plant I have worked at. Regarding TMMI, I feel the exempt culture at this plant is miss-shaped compared to other Toyota facilities working the Toyota Way.

I notice that the relationship between Managers/A.M.s and Specialists is quite heavy-handed if not adversarial at times. This is really evident in their H.R. policies which are very conservative compared to other plants and lack any definition or flexibility. H.R. policies at this plant are applied very inconsistently.

Leadership communication is usually one way and very top down. TMMI middle managers are very perception driven and I see terrific opportunities wasted because of politics and narrow focus. Again not typical of other Toyota plants. I see rush to judgement and reaction that is often not thought through. This only serves to tear down the stability of the processes and not strengthen them.

This plant has an excellent professional workforce but I see the Specialists often spun in every direction with little opportunity to give their work the time required to do it right with a lasting contribution. Very high expectations placed on Specialists here with very few rewards.

On the whole, this plant has it's priorities straight on the floor and builds good product but in the office culture has a lot of growing left to do. I see this management team having benefited from years of good sales and not really knowing if what they did all these years served the better purpose or not.

Advice to Management

I feel TMMI leadership needs to get back to the basics and see how "respect for people" is put into practice at other facilities. Then get back to basics on everything else.

2. "The Toyota Way is mostly the Right Way."

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

The spread of Knowledge and the extensive learning of the Toyota Way. You are taught about lean manufacturing and the importance of cost savings. By working for Toyota you are expanding the number of other companies that are interested in hiring you. Other companies want to hire you based on your experience within Toyota, it pays off! Very friendly people that work hard together to get the task at hand done. Toyota is leading the way for future vehicles, including many high mpg cars in their new line-up. They understand where the automotive industry is going and working hard to be the leader.

Cons

Because of the continuous improvement scheme they have, it is often times very frustrating to get work done. So many people need to see your paper work and sign off on it that it may take days for this process to happen. Day to day work seems boring and the same, this of course depends on what department you work in. Since the company is Japanese owned you will have Japanese managers. This poses several problems including communication issues. You will have to learn to understand japanish speak very quickly. Moving up in the company seems slow, but then again I have not had much experience.

Advice to Management

Understand employee limits