Toyota North America - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Field Technical Specialist
Current Employee - Field Technical Specialist

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and the attention to associates really means a lot.

Cons

Performance appraisal process needs improvement and level up of overall compensation

Advice to Management

Improved communication about business decisions

Other Employee Reviews for Toyota North America

"Awful Place To Work"

I worked at Toyota North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, benefits, and vehicle lease program rock

Cons

However, there are many more cons than pros...
    1. I unfortunately had been placed with an awful boss - nightmarish is a better word for it. He would attack me and became stalkerish - wouldn't leave me alone and would harp on the smallest mistake made.
    2. Since the company makes so many changes and lateral moves, even when transferred to a new boss, my old boss would talk to my new boss and give me a bad name. Same thing happened when I transferred two more times.
    3. I had confided in a co-worker friend of my situation and they went behind my back and reported this to HR. Word of advice: HR is NOT your friend. They may say they're there for the workforce but their one and only goal is to protect the company. So even if your situation is not your fault, they will either dismiss your qualms like its no big deal or find a way to twist the situation and make it your fault. OR they will take the side of management and watch you like a hawk and if there's any reason you mess up and they can turn it into a firing, they will.
    4. Office Politics - Like most big companies there are major office politics. If someone does something wrong, and you were involved in that group, they will try to spring the fault on you or anyone remotely possible.
    5. More office politics - most but not all people will be fake and smile in your face while they're backstabbing you and bringing down your name. Again, there were some genuine, cool people there, but i'd say about 85% are not to be trusted. Most employees are lifers and know how to play the game.
    6. They're full of themselves - You'll be subjected to going to seminars, and meetings with the intent of bragging about how great the company is and how awesome it is to be an employee there.
    7. If you're a female do not expect to get promoted to management much less anything higher. In the dept i worked in, we had ONE female manager out of about 12. And going above that, its a rarity to see any females up at the top.

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices and get a clue. The managers with offices are the lifers who are usually older caucasian men. They sit in their office all day probably doing anything that has nothing to do with work. That's what their lower level managers are for... to inform them what's going on if there's an issue.

"Have worked at Toyota for over 25 years and have truly enjoyed being part of the Toyota Family."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Toyota values it's associates and has a portfolio of benefits that are quite astounding, from an excellent lease program to health and wellness benefits.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive. Career development and advancement is not optimal. Toyota is very slow to move when it comes to innovation and creating workforce flexibility.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach - the Toyota Way is not just words on a page, it is a system of beliefs that must drive all behavior. Sitting in your offices with your doors closed does not promote respect for people or continuous improvement.