Toyota Tsusho - Not the "typical" Japanese company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Toyota Tsusho

"Not the "typical" Japanese company"

Pros

Awesome benefits package that probably doesn't exist outside of most Japanese companies (i.e. no contribution for major medical for employee only, very little add'l for spouse & kids, cheap vision & dental insurance); stability (you _really_ have to mess up here to be fired); very much a hybrid company w/ corporate input from both Japanese & American sides.

Cons

Low pay compared to industry; low morale; depending on the department, Japanese management tends to micromanage the unnecessary & totally drop the ball where it's needed; general attitude of "Product A works Japan, so it'll work exactly the same way in North America too, right?"; seniority determined 99% by length of service and not ability

Advice to Management

Benefits are great, but you can't maintain quality people paying as little as you do. In many cases, the benefits are the _only_ thing keeping many of us around.

Other Employee Reviews for Toyota Tsusho

"Toyota Tsusho's motto is "Tsusho Cares," but they only care about the Japanese and Executive management."

Pros

Toyota Tsusho offers a great benefits package. The pay is competitive for the industry. Tsusho is involved in everything from steel to food production, so you get to see how various industries work.

Cons

If I had to use one word to describe the management at Tsusho, it would be abusive. Non-management employees are treated very poorly. Management does not support their employees. The HR department is only concerned with making sure management is happy. As an employee, I expressed concerns about my manager. HR told me they were aware of the poor treatment my department received from the manager; however there was nothing they (HR) could do because executive management liked the manager of my department. The benefits and pay are not worth the stress brought on by the office politics at Tsusho. The only people who have a chance at advancement at Tsusho are the Japanese employees and Caucasian men.

Tsusho is the place for you if you want to work for a company that expects you to spend every waking moment at work (and most people do not receive overtime pay). I was actually told that I shouldn't plan on starting a family because the job wouldn't leave me with enough time for a family. When I first took the job at Tsusho I was excited about getting to travel all over the country and learn about the different industries. After a while, I realized management did not care about me or my fellow co-workers. My department alone has a 100% turnover rate. We all claimed management's treatment of employees as the reason we left, but nothing ever changed and it probably never will.

Advice to Management

Just because someone isn't a manager doesn't mean they aren't a person. Treat all employees equally and fairly. Listen when employees express concerns.

"Not so sophisticated, need to develop fair employment principle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

Pros

Members of Top management are fine and employees are recognized for their performance.
    Supportive
    Quick response from couterpart.

Cons

Culture is very stuffy.
    High turnover in middle management.
    Some dominant players.

Advice to Management

Power Concentration on a few people sometimes hurt the organization. There is a few managers who excercise politics.