Toys "R" Us - Good opportunity to become part of a turn around | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Toys "R" Us

"Good opportunity to become part of a turn around"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Wayne, NJ
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Wayne, NJ

Pros

Assuming you perform well in your current position, it is easy to move around the company thanks to an initiative from the CFO to promote internal recruiting and interdepartmental knowledge transfer.

The corporate headquarters is understaffed, which leaves extra opportunity to step up and shine.

Toys R Us is privately held and going through a "turn-around" phase. We are starting to make up some of the lost market share to our major competitors Target and Wal-Mart.

New successful Toys R Us strategy: Toys has rolled out a promising initiative to place Toys and Babies stores next to each other to capture more of the transitional age group between babies and juvenile aged children. This new concept has been successful and is being rolled out to the rest of the chain.

Brand equity.

Cons

The location of the corporate headquarters in Wayne, NJ is unfortunate. The commute to Wayne, NJ is long from NYC or Hoboken, NJ. The traffic is horrible and owning a car in NY/NJ is very expensive. Unless you're married with kids, life in suburban NJ could be depressing for a young professional.

Toys has a very hierarchical structure, which makes it harder to get things done unless you go through the right person who has a high enough position within the company and connections. It is important to travel through the appropriate channels to accomplish a certain task, which reduces productivity.

The current budget for pay raises is close to nil.

Advice to Management

Employee retention will be a problem with the current budget for annual reviews.

Other Employee Reviews for Toys "R" Us

"Toys R Us is not a fun place to work at, even though you are around toys all day."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH

Pros

There's not many reasons, the only one I can think of is my fellow co-workers. There are a great group of people that work at the store I am at. I can't even say the discount is great, because it's only 10%.

Cons

The training is insufficient. I realize it's hard to effectively train everyone at Christmas time, since our staff triples during that time, but I'm sure that a new and more effective training method could be put in place, especially training on different products in the store. We carry many electronic items in the store, and most people, even those that work in the electronics section, don't have a lot of knowledge on the different products they are supposed to be able to sell. Feedback is not something that is frequently given, whether it be positive or negative. Advancement opportunities, especially at the store I work for, is not something that comes along often, and does not seem to be a priority either. At my store, it seems as though the store manager gets the right people in key positions that make him look good, and he does not move them up from there. For example, an assistant manager position opened in our store. Two supervisors that were more than qualified for the spot applied for the job. Neither one was even given an interview for the spot. The position was eventually given to someone outside of the company. Lastly, the pay is not competitive at all. Someone would probably be better off working at Wal-Mart than at TRU.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more communication throughout all levels of management, and more feedback needs to be given, whether good or bad, and performance problems need to be addressed immediately instead of letting the problem progressively get worse.

"We keep politics on aisle 6c, and high school games on 4d...."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Helping moms make children smile.

Cons

The company is reorganizing after a buyout two years ago. However the vast majority of the store level and district level leadership remains in place. These remaing managers are more concerned with playing politics and attempting to protect their jobs than executing the new leadership's vision for success.

There is no system for tracking the actual hours worked by salaried managers. Salaried Managers fill out a management time log, but that information remains at the store level and in never transmitted or reconciled anywhere. This means that the controlling authority (the GM) is able to work half days as compared to what they are actually scheduled. They are free to not work at all, and then claim a week later that they did work according to the schedule. This has led to serious abuses of sick days, eto, and vacation days. The ASM is expected to be present the entire shift, and frequently exceeds 60 hours per week compared to the GMs 35-40 hour weeks. Complaints of abuse to higher are simply routed back down to the GM's in question which typically results in action against the reporter. I have personally watched disciplinary actions against hourly associates for 1-10 minute late arrivals handed down by a manager that consistantly cheats the company out of 8+ hours per week. The hourly associates see this and it does nothing to help store morale. Additionally, the GM is the only one that is bonused at a variable rate that can be sizeable. Combine all of these points and one is left with some seroiusly disgruntled employees.

Plan o Gram documents frequently do not agree with graphics installation instructions, the layout pictures typically violate the standards of excellence for merchandising, and the layouts usually will not agree with the product list as shown in the diagrams.

Store hours have been cut to bare bones staff resulting in a closing staff for three people for a 100K sq ft store. This is a constant complaint by shoppers on our satisfaction surveys. At my store we usually have less than 400 hours to split between the entire staff. Salaried managers make up this shortage by working extra hours.

Special projects are also frequently mismanaged by corporate from the beginning. I was allotted 80 man hours to reset and create a section of improved and new aisles. The right size shelves were not shipped to begin with. The proper shelving uprights and base decks never arrived. The right plans were not published to fit my store layout, the new product still has not arrived, and we have ordered the correct material twice now. This was supposed to be complete 20 weeks ago.

Advice to Management

Get control of salaried managers worked time by making them clock in and out for attendance purposes.

Make the silent witness hotline actually "silent" The hotline does no good when the info is relayed right down to the GM it is concerning and they get to solve who "ratted" them out, and then has the ability to dismiss it as a disgruntled person who called simply because they were counselled for job performance.

Bonus employees for performance affecting the bottom line. Reward for credit card,extended warranty placement, and assembly dollars.

Make the aisle layout documents agree.