Toys "R" Us - its ok. i dont want to be here here forever though if i cant move up soon | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Toys "R" Us

"its ok. i dont want to be here here forever though if i cant move up soon"

Current Employee - Team Member in Roseville, CA
Current Employee - Team Member in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Toys "R" Us part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, good hours if you ask to work and learn things. and of course if you do a good job then you will make more money. it can be fun at times. talking to people on the sales floor definitely gives great experience for many other future jobs. its not easy to get fired really. not as many crying babies as one might expect. and pregnant ladies are actually pretty kind. when people do recognize your hard work, it feels pretty good, but thats not often. pos system is pretty simple. scheduling is pretty good.

Cons

sales pressure for cashiers is not cool. cashiering can make one feel robotic and while it may look good on applications to cashier for a couple years, it does a lot more for your character to sell things on the sales floor. some employees can be rude and immature at times. inconsistent policies and procedures. not all employees are on the same page about how things work. i have a bad feeling that my last pay "raise" was based on a personal bias of one supervisor towards me which had no reasonable explanation to it. its not that easy to be recognized. nobody seems to trust each other. theres no drug tests. after my long time working very hard i feel like if im not recognized as the next supervisor of my department then im basically wasting my time. when the store is busy, the lack of enough main cashiers calls for sales floor workers to get on registers and lose time that could be used on more important tasks. oh, and managers definitely have favorites. too much complaining from everyone about everything. the complaining has definitely rubbed off on me as well

Advice to Management

pay closer attention to all employees. show more respect. an old assistant manager of mine was basically an expert of the whole store, all managers should be that way. managers should basically know more than anyone when it comes to certain procedures, product knowledge, and just how to do everything. could be a little more open minded. store seems too divided by departments. we need more to make our small group of employees feel like an awesome team. more employees and more business to make use of new employees. if theres any way to suggest to corporate better marketing strategies to improve sales that would be great. out store seems like the minimum of a "busy store".

Other Employee Reviews for Toys "R" Us

1. "Horrible company to work for, very unprofessional."

Former Employee - Store Team Lead
    Former Employee - Store Team Lead

I worked at Toys "R" Us full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok and start quickly.

Cons

Company is very unorganized. Hires and allows employs to be unprofessional. Has no loyalty to existing employees and blames it on the "nature of the business".

2. "Not bad for what it is."

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Toys "R" Us part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better starting pay than many retail positions.
    Friendly work environment
    Plenty of holiday hours
    Managers are friendly, professional and usually willing to work with you on scheduling conflicts.
    Store discount.
    Values employees time and opinions.

Cons

Plenty of holiday hours. (this can be difficult for college students or people with kids)
    You will be scheduled more than you were hired for around the holiday season.
    Lots of problem with sales coming off on the computers can lead to unfriendly and unhappy customers.

Advice to Management

Train seasonal employees a bit better; make sure they have more knowledge of what company policies are.
    Get those computers running smoothly!