Toys "R" Us - its ok. i dont want to be here here forever though if i cant move up soon | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Toys "R" Us

"its ok. i dont want to be here here forever though if i cant move up soon"

Current Employee - Team Member in Roseville, CA
Current Employee - Team Member in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Toys "R" Us part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, good hours if you ask to work and learn things. and of course if you do a good job then you will make more money. it can be fun at times. talking to people on the sales floor definitely gives great experience for many other future jobs. its not easy to get fired really. not as many crying babies as one might expect. and pregnant ladies are actually pretty kind. when people do recognize your hard work, it feels pretty good, but thats not often. pos system is pretty simple. scheduling is pretty good.

Cons

sales pressure for cashiers is not cool. cashiering can make one feel robotic and while it may look good on applications to cashier for a couple years, it does a lot more for your character to sell things on the sales floor. some employees can be rude and immature at times. inconsistent policies and procedures. not all employees are on the same page about how things work. i have a bad feeling that my last pay "raise" was based on a personal bias of one supervisor towards me which had no reasonable explanation to it. its not that easy to be recognized. nobody seems to trust each other. theres no drug tests. after my long time working very hard i feel like if im not recognized as the next supervisor of my department then im basically wasting my time. when the store is busy, the lack of enough main cashiers calls for sales floor workers to get on registers and lose time that could be used on more important tasks. oh, and managers definitely have favorites. too much complaining from everyone about everything. the complaining has definitely rubbed off on me as well

Advice to Management

pay closer attention to all employees. show more respect. an old assistant manager of mine was basically an expert of the whole store, all managers should be that way. managers should basically know more than anyone when it comes to certain procedures, product knowledge, and just how to do everything. could be a little more open minded. store seems too divided by departments. we need more to make our small group of employees feel like an awesome team. more employees and more business to make use of new employees. if theres any way to suggest to corporate better marketing strategies to improve sales that would be great. out store seems like the minimum of a "busy store".

Other Employee Reviews for Toys "R" Us

1. "Good place to work, high turnover keeps morale low"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Amherst, NY

I worked at Toys "R" Us part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with scheduling (I was in school), managers were nice, coworkers were nice, easy work, above minimum wage w/ benefits available for some workers

Cons

Managers having favorites, brainless work, outdated SOPs, silly scripts for cashiers, low confidence in workers' abilities

Advice to Management

Be a little more flexible with SOPs, stand up to corporate when appropriate

"Most unprofessional environment I've ever been in."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Toys "R" Us part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can easily move up in this company.

Cons

No training, lots of confusion in management, and little scheduling flexibility.

Advice to Management

On my first day, before I even had an employee number or even knew how to clock in, I was put at a register with no training or supervision. I didn't even know what buttons to push. This in turn made customers very upset and impatient. There has to be at least some training within the organization. When I asked other associates to help, they seemed just as confused as me. I worked at Toys R Us for one day (I was even asked my the manager there to stay 2 hours extra) and called HR the next day to tell them this was not a good fit.