Toys "R" Us - Great staff! | Glassdoor

"Great staff!"

Former Employee - Sales Team Member in New York, NY
Former Employee - Sales Team Member in New York, NY

I worked at Toys "R" Us part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clear responsibilites. Mostly everyone has a good attitude.

Cons

Schedule is not same on a day to day or weekly basis. It is random.

Other Employee Reviews for Toys "R" Us

1. "Very good job but not career unless you like retail A LOT"

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Toys "R" Us part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working there for about 8 or 9 months but I was there for 14 months total. I was hired for season in November and it was my first job and I was ecstatic at the age of 17. Working season for the first time was a lot of fun yet a lot of work which wasnt anything to complain about. My managers seemed to love me and I was given a very very very small raise which again i was fine with at 17. I got along great with my coworkers at work but since i was so young i was excluded from most of the activities that the other coworkers always did such as bowling, movies, and bars which i couldnt go for obvious reasons. The pay was ok for me since i was in high school but it was not much. I worked for 14 months and ony made 4500 total.

Cons

Aside from the good things,which i cant deny there were a lot but very seldom, there were so many flaws that i never saw until i matured through my job and personal life. One of the biggest flaws is those stupid metrics such as loyalty goals and bpp's and batteries. NOBODY CARES I GUARANTEE IT. of course there are the few suckers (guests) that get sucked into the monopoloy of over priced toys that are "only at toys r us." but in reality and for the real people of this wold, no one cares about loyalty cards and they especially dont care about the secret marketing idea that is behind them. and if metrics ae so important than why shouldnt you give the cashiers some form of comission for selling them. if we dont get any reward for doing them and geting a lot of metrics (and believe me i got plenty) then that causes people like me to not care about metrics. there is no room for advanceent unless you are tere for fricken ever. since there is no room for advancement there is no desire to do anything at all that benefits the ompany unless it somehow benefits us but it DOES NOT. for example wheni had been there for about 4 months they tld me that they wanted to move me to rzone in about two months. im a geek so i belong there and i completed their training but waited patiently for about 6 or 7 months. when they started hiring for season i asked f i could go to rzone but they told me some crappy stuff about me being the best cahier and they needed me to help te new ones. instead of moving me there they hired new people who knew almost nothing and that angered me. cashiering is not hard at all and i figured it out onmy own. they can too. i again patiently wated until season was over and i expected to work rzone by then but no they moved somebody else over there because "it as a girl" . by season after working there for a year with no appreciation i stopped caring at all. during reshop i would stick a bunch of random items behind biger suff so we could leave early. anybody that has worked cashier know its exrremely easy but it is beyondboring and annoying as hell. i got tired of neglect and getting terible hours for terrible wges and constantly working cashier shifts so i just stopped going and could care less what happened because of my absence.sory for all the grammar errors this was off of a phone.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to motivate employes to actually do their job.
    Make a rewards program that actually benefits the guests and make it easier to understand and utilize for the guests.
    Stop sucking at your job
    Get better and faster checkout lanes and counters

2. "ok for a start in big box retail management"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at Toys "R" Us full-time (More than a year)

Pros

provides solid training and support on the ability to increase metric/sales and allows for creative merchandising in order to increase sales.

Cons

Overall, very poor and ineffectual training on a tacked together, very poor, operating system. Add to this a company which does not provide the payroll to tackle its growing multi-channel tasks. i.e. - a company with a lot of growing pains.