Trader Joe's - Decent part-time job with above average pay when you cap out at payscalae | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Trader Joe's

"Decent part-time job with above average pay when you cap out at payscalae"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Ventura, CA
Former Employee - Crew Member in Ventura, CA

Pros

Best reasons to work at TJ's is flexible hours, and decent pay for what you do great Part time job for students and people who want to work with little responsibility-other than showing up, cashiering and stocking. Easy going place to work.

Cons

The full-timers are manager's who for the most part are uneducated and got promoted based on doing being friends with the Captain or first mate. No formal training program for them it's a sink or swim baptism by fire management program. They shoul be more elective recruiting college grads who have taken courses in leadership, management, and human resources. They fail epically in that area

Advice to Management

Formalize a management training program-

Other Employee Reviews for Trader Joe's

1. "The most fun job. Time flies when you work there."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

The environment is very positive overall. It is easy to go there, have a good time, and leave with a clear head.

Cons

Sometimes it gets very busy in the store and it can be a bit overwhelming if you aren't used to working in constant contact to people.

Advice to Management

I think the leadership at Trader Joe's is doing a good job overall. I have no negative feedback for them.

"Absolutely the best retail Job, hands down"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Brea, CA

Pros

Everyone always asks why the employees are so happy at TJ's; it's because they treat their employees extremely well. Great pay, great benefits, and a great atmosphere to work in. Plus they sell delicious food at low prices, so you believe in the product you are selling - which makes the job easy! Best of all, you get pay reviews on a consistent schedule. I think this is key. You know where you stand at all times. They let you know the areas you need to improve, plus praise your areas of strengths, which motivates you to perform well. I can't say enough good things about this company. It's ideal for students because they work around your schedule and are very supportive. This job got me through my bachelors degree and masters degree. I have since left to enter my field of study, but I'll always be a loyal customer and proudly sing my praises of being a former employee.

Cons

I've worked at several different stores and sometimes, unfortunately, managers have their favorites and those individuals are given better shift preferences, but hey, that's true no matter where you work. As long as you work hard and prove yourself, I've found that in time you make it up the ladder no matter where you work within this company.

Advice to Management

Management is slowly becoming more and more corporate as the years go on - just don't forget your carefree roots of being a laid back, non-beurocratic company - its what made you great!!!