Employee Review

Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pretty Good!

Jun 17, 2018 - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Let's be real, working retail can suck. However, Trader Joe's makes it actually fun and bearable. Keep in mind every store is different, but this was my experience working there for over a year: Pros: - The mates and my captain helped create a fun environment and truly cared about the crew - It's a flexible job depending on your store needs and who does the scheduling - The customer is not always right, and Trader Joe's understands this. They understand that employees are their number one customers and they treat them as such. I felt valued and like I had backup/support if there was a crazy customer complaint or something - There was a huddle at each shift, where we could taste new products, try different pairings, and get updated on what's going on as far as the store and company news - You get a 10% discount, which isn't that great, but it's better than nothing - Medical insurance and dental insurance if you work so many hours - 401K, semi-annual reviews (with raises), and annual bonuses - Trader Joe's pays their employees a pretty fair wage. I worked in LA and they raised the minimum wage ahead of time to stay competitive and to retain good staff, which was really appreciated. I was considering quitting around that time simply because I couldn't afford the high cost of living, but after that I was able to stay. - People stay here long-term. I had multiple co-workers (crew members at that) that had been with the company 10+ years. That says something about the company, especially with retail, which has a high turnover rate. - They're good at hiring the right people. - The variety keeps the job interesting. I couldn't imagine being on register all day. I enjoyed being able to switch throughout the day.

Cons

- This is a hard job, physically and emotionally. You're on your feet all day, bending, twisting, and lifting. I was constantly sore, even though I'm young and workout, and lots of people had some nagging injuries. I couldn't imagine doing this for the long term. Plus, rude and difficult customers can get you down, but I would say the majority of customers are good people. - Small carts (not sure if every store has them?) were awful. You had to bend down to unload the bottom rack and every crew member hated them. - No employee wifi, which is... weird. Starbucks has free wifi. Why can't the break room? Not all of us have unlimited data... and I'm not even watching videos, just trying to read on my break. - Customers take advantage of the return policy. I appreciate the policy, but it's too lenient in certain aspects. I watched customers buy flowers for an event and then return them the next day, or return them a month later after they're all dead. I also saw a lady break a bottle of wine and return it for full refund (wtf? how is that our fault?). - Mates get transferred. In some respects, I really like this, but it can also be hard since just as you're getting close to a mate, they get moved to another store. My store went through 5 mates in a year. But almost every mate is fantastic -- I only had an issue with one - The annual survey for crew is great, but I wish it was semi-annual just like our reviews - If you're on demo, god bless your heart. Some customers think it's their free dinner.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good team

Sep 22, 2021 - Trade Crew
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is great for working at a grocery store

Cons

Long hours on your feet

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Good job

Sep 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun environment with nice people

Cons

manager was a bit creepy but other than that, none

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Trader Joe's.