Trader Joe's - Stay away. They're pushing employees into debt and bankruptcy | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "Not a lot of crew members pitched in to help with cart runs, which kind of sucked" (in 162 reviews)

• "can be too fast-paced or physically demanding for some people" (in 94 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Stay away. They're pushing employees into debt and bankruptcy"

Current Employee - Section Leader in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Section Leader in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Many well educated people who like having fun with others.

Cons

Trader Joe's is cutting insurance for "part time" workers and directing us to Obama Care. They claim it'll save the workers money because the insurance on the exchanges will be cheaper than what they take from our paychecks.

True, but to do this they're cutting everyone but supervisors and managers hours and are on a hiring binge to get workers to cover shifts. We might save $30 a month on insurance, but a lot of people are going from $1920 a month pay to $960 or worse. Also, to be considered for scheduling you have to have open availability from 3am to 10pm 7 days a week. If you have to take a second job to pay your bills you're then dropped from scheduling, effectively fired.

Also, they now use Ceridian/Dayforce to do scheduling. So you might work 4am to 6am one day, 3pm to 8pm the next. And you’re still not going to get enough hours to live on. And I’ll repeat: If you tell them you had to take a second job to pay your bills your kicked out of the system.

Many employees who've relied on Trader Joe's to pay their bills are now in debt and losing their homes. Another thing that was outright mean was that they started cutting hours last year and kept asking employees to hang around because things would come back. It turned out that they planned this all along and just used us to get the work done. So most employees went into debt and spent savings to stay with the company. Now many of us are in a financial hole with no help in sight. If they had of been honest with us many could have been looking for other jobs. Now we’re in crises mode with no opportunities.

Advice to Management

Better start looking for jobs. After the company is sold or goes public you guys won't have paychecks either

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Good Job for Benefits, Meeting People"

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TJ provides benefits for pt workers (35 hrs.), working side by side with crew members fosters teamwork and socializing opportunities outside of work.

Cons

Culture shift from quirky, customer centric to corporate sterility; continuous management changes as people get promoted they move amongst stores to get a variety of experience (good for them, but they tend to change everything around, which effects crew members (part time). Work life balance for full timers is tough, but they make good money. Crew members have more flexibility.

Advice to Management

More consistency in store management, don't forget about the customer.

"Can be great"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some people really get excited over the tastings, so it can be fun.
    solid benefits, which is a big reason some of the older folks work there, and I think to qualify you only have to work 20 hours a week.

Cons

unless your schedule is set in stone, you might end up with some really weird hours and from week to week it may be hard to adjust.
    there is a strange discord btw full timers and part timers bc they frown upon fraternizing; although you make friends and will want to hang out, it's a "no no."
    your day could depend directly on how much went on the shift before; so, if there was a "cool" supervisor before that let everyone slack off, it could make for a rather hectic day.

Advice to Management

the same as it is for most management. lead by example. Some of you do a great/wonderful job with this. Others micro manage when it isn't necessary and don't lend a hand because they feel it's beneath them. I kind of feel bad for the workers there trying to become salary employees because a lot of them are really talented, educated, and have wonderful skills and they're being taken advantage of so that one day they can get that illustrious position of 'full timer.'

no job is beneath you, if you are willing to help and work when needed... the crew will follow and remain responsive.

Discover more reviews about Trader Joe's.