TransPerfect - 5-Star Reviews Of This Company Must Be a PR Move | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "great opportunity to learn a lot from your project" (in 20 reviews)

• "TransPerfect has great people to work with" (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work life balance is straight up crap I can't even sugar coat that" (in 69 reviews)

• "Very long hours without compensation" (in 79 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"5-Star Reviews Of This Company Must Be a PR Move"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator
Former Employee - Project Coordinator

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to languages can be interesting and unique

Cons

At first I was excited to join TransPerfect- the pay seemed excellent, it was labeled as a Project Management role, which I was looking for, and I would get to work with languages, all of which sounded perfect. After a 2-week training period in which I didn't learn a single thing about my role, I then started receiving job-specific training from separate individuals with different opinions on how to do the work correctly. Management is there because they were the only ones who didn't quit, and so they have seniority (I'm serious). They are also very passive aggressive to their staff. While I was there we had zero contact from upper management and heard nothing from them regarding the company or the business plan. Non-management is a good group of people who are understaffed and overworked, which makes the compensation irrelevant. Salary is a dirty word here- while the bare minimum amount of expected hours/week is 45, you will likely work 60-80 hour weeks when things get busy, which can be frequent, especially because of the understaffing. Holidays are scarce and the 401K plan is absolutely terrible. From an ethical standpoint, they are also lying to their clients about project rates as a standard practice. While I made some good money at this position and the sheer amount of work volume did give me some solid experience, it was a very destructive culture, and I regret ever being employed there. I have theories about how this company is still in business, but at some point the extremely high turnover rate, ,the dishonesty to their clients and the lack of involvement from upper management will catch up to them in a big way. If you are looking for something that TransPerfect is offering, I would highly recommend looking at every other possible option first.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to establish some form of contact with the rest of the company.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"A growing company which is addressing change issues"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great growth opportunity. Many changes in the last year have reduced turnover based on employee input. OPen door means access to all employees to all levels of mgt up to the CEOs. Great parties.

Cons

Still needs to work on internal processes. They're working on it but not there yet. Update the HQ environment. The operations and accounting staff are more focused on how they can't help you than resolving problems. Not inspiring when you work 60+ hours a week. The T&E policy is a joke. $15 meal allowance after working 12 hours. And you have to eat it at your desk?

Advice to Management

Keep on with the reforms you've done the past two years. Move into the present decade and provide a work environment which is employee friendly and something they can be proud of. We're making money as you tell us. Spend some of it on the place we work. It's overcrowded and needs to be updated. Employees love what they do so share the love.

"Disrespectful sales management and unhealthy work environment."

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time

Pros

-The CEOs care about their people and push them to improve, but may not know how poorly sales management operates.

-Young, ambitious and resilient colleagues.

-Transparent sales reporting with good visibility.

-The "own your own business" model can be too much work at times, but great experience.

-Proactivity is admired and rewarded.

-Strong marketing department and investment in business development activities.

-Well planned sales conferences.

Cons

-TransPerfect blocks Glassdoor on company computers.

-Rule by fear, mental abuse and intense micro management. The inner circle generally hides behind cynical emails. You need to tune it out to function normally at work.

-NY TPT sales management considers yelling, attitude, snide remarks, huffing, talking negatively about others, and "problem child" lists acceptable ways to treat employees. Senior sales management from other offices should also be feared.

-Management dangles the carrot in front of hungry reps to sell them on the pipe dream of endless income. Most work thanklessly around the clock for years, but leave because they get burned out. The results of their hard labor are gifted to those who stay around long enough.

-Fake false sense of urgency from management due to poor planning or random immediate requests.

-Always a quid pro quo mentality.

-Posh facades, aviator sunglasses, and being openly hung over at meetings gets more traction with management than solid business acumen.

-I only heard from my manager when they wanted something or had a problem. If you don't suck up to fit in, you're just a number to them.

-The sales team has a revolving door. The rich get richer by churning through those in their pyramid who build and manage business for them for a meager salary.

-Many sales managers are too busy to give meaningful guidance, oversight, or show they care. Immediate results are expected and barely recognized.

-On top of 24/7 end-to-end sales/account management, making contact lists, printing 1,500 mailer letters, and manually stuffing 1,500 envelopes is slave labor; not something nearly everyone in sales is required to do weekly.

-Management wants you to respond instantly to clients at any hour, which builds unsustainable and unnecessary expectations. No emphasis on a healthy work-life balance; just live for and die for the Client.

-You only get paid commission after your client pays their bill. If clients pay late, you lose commission. As more time passes, you lose a lot more. If you don't make mandatory markup requirements, you also lose commission. Highway robbery.

-Way too much email volume because you're forced to be on irrelevant global distribution lists.

-Cockroaches and fruit flies repeatedly found on the sales floor.

Advice to Management

-Let respectful people manage and listen to the soldiers instead of the cheerleaders.

-Giving someone a direct report just because they hit a revenue goal is short changing everyone. They need to know how to manage first.

-Slow down on buying companies and grow organically. Acquisitions water down the core of the company and inflate revenue. Build with your own people first.

-Don't be cheap. Stop the recoverable draw structure. Pay employees fairly so they don't starve. You're losing far more capital when trained talent learns their worth and leaves for greener pastures. Hiring waves of new employees to replace vacancies is a quick fix, which repeats the cycle.

-Hire people with industry experience and a sales background, not just those from job boards for their first job.

-NY sales management shouldn't have endless slack to treat their staff so poorly. They're toxic and costing the company crops of talented employees, loyal clients, and tons of ill will. Those who move on could be going to current or potential clients, so the negative buzz can be even more costly over the long term.

-The company is getting a bit too large for two CEO's to run at their traditional level of detail.

Discover more reviews about TransPerfect.