Transamerica - Good place to build skills | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Transamerica

"Good place to build skills"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Transamerica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Generous Vacation Time, Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Affiliations, Average Pay Scale

Cons

Hiring process is slow, as is job transferring. Human Resources is very resourceful but throughout many locations so recruiting is slow and not the best in communication progress. Minimal flexibility in schedules for some departments and inconsistent management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and conduct surveys to empower employees. One of the "must-win" battles is restoring morale and it would start with surveys to find where the opportunities are to improve.

Other Employee Reviews for Transamerica

"Ok place if you dont plan to move up."

Current Employee - Associate Accountant in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Associate Accountant in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Transamerica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Shifts if you are a morning person and the work for the most part is not too difficult,

Cons

Training is terrible, they hardly hire within, they keep on taking away old traditions, making work not so fun.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away stuff that used to make this place so fun to work at.

"Bait and Switch almost worked on me"

Current Contractor - Financial Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Contractor - Financial Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Transamerica as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly district manager who wanted to hire me on the stop and everyone in the office was acting like I was their best friend.

Cons

I was scratching my head why they wanted to hire me so quick. It was too good to be true. $ 3,000.00 a month and commissions and full benefits. This position has no office expenses like Metlife or other large insurers do. I was amazed. I could have taken the "Independent" agent status but it was straight commissions and did not seem nearly as good as working as an employee. so, I start to order the classroom time and book get finger-printed and I am about to pay out about $ 300.00 in expenses to work there selling insurance. I asked if they would let me sell Annuities and Investments but that email was not returned to me. I took an online questionare with no right answers, just personal questions about how I feel about selling to the public. I have been an award winning insurance salesperson in New York for many years so no questions seemed out of line for me. I received a phone call from the general manager telling me I could only work there as an independent and that going forward if I sell alot I may be transfered into the regular employee status of accepted. BINGO ! It then hit me like a rock, they never intended to hire me with a base pay and full benefits. They tossed out the lure and I took the bait and then they even had the arrogance to say, well work independently for now with only commission and we might reconsider in the future. I turned down so many offers to work on straight commission in this economic downturn that if I knew it was about that I would have not responded to their calls. This is how they got around not getting a response from seasoned salespeople. Aegon owns them. They just began a new finanical services network and jumpstart their sales in insurance and other products in South Florida and hoped to use this method to create interest. I saw another address for them down the street from the address I was interviewing at so I called their and that call was redirected to someones cell number . She told me in six months they were going to be selling brokerage products from that location and to check back with them at that location which is half a mile from the other location. I had asked about that location when I interviewed at the first location but they down played that office and said that was just a servicing office for existing Representative. Who do these people think they are fooling ? Most of us I hate to admit. Does anyone wonder why Wall Street has the reputation that it has ? Cut-throat and deceiving. Try working for MetLife it is even worst. If You make $80,000.00 there you pay them half of that for expenses and then you have to pay for computer programs and tracking systems and your office and the office help as well as marketing and Etc. They will nickel and dime you until your totally confused. You buy their leads, you have their call center call for you and you advertise and you pay for it all out of your own pocket. Welcome to the world of Financial Services ladies and gentlemen !

Advice to Management

Stop tricking people , the smart ones know your doing it and the dumb ones you really don't want anyway do you ?