Treehouse (Oregon) - Positive environment | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Positive environment"

I have been working at Treehouse (Oregon) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Treehouse is a great place to work. The people are really nice, the culture is enjoyable, and the Work/Life balance is beyond what I would expect from any company.

Cons

Upward mobility is non-existent. There's really no way to get a promotion and pay increases have barely kept up with inflation.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Livin' the dream"

Pros

Treehouse is a wonderful product and even better place to work at. As an Engineering Manager in the Portland office I had the opportunity to observe and interact with all levels of employees, and in all departments. I was included in the company wide layoffs, and if given the opportunity, I would without a doubt work at Treehouse again.

Tl;dr
    Pros:
    * Great leadership; they really care about their people
    * Lots of transparency
    * Employee skill set
    * Level of accountability in employees
    * Demonstrated living of mission and values by everyone

Cons:
    * Like all startups, frequent change
    * Short 1-2 Product Managers
    * Feeling there is no clear marketing roadmap

I can't say enough about how well this young company is functioning. The executive staff is continually trying to do the right thing for business, employees, and students. The CEO regularly has personal chats with every employee to hear what he and the company can do to improve. The leaders regularly seek input from managers, who in return seek input from individual contributors. It is obvious that not only do the executives care about their employees, but they listen to what people say. An example: when Treehouse executives announced they needed to conduct layoffs, employees asked if there would be any job placement assistance or if we could continue to use the Treehouse product for free. Executives followed up by reaching out to other companies in effort to find comparable jobs for those who were laid off, and employees cut are able to continue to use the product free of charge.

The amount of transparency is refreshing too, but can be too much for some employees. I was shocked to see financial records during my first company all hands meeting, and even more surprised to hear the questions posed by attendees about typically restricted/executive eyes only data being openly answered by the executives. Another example of transparency is when all employees were told a month ahead of time of the pending layoffs.

It's refreshing to be in an organization where employees are trusted to do their jobs, and they do it well. I have had the opportunity to work with some smart individuals here and there, but Treehouse has some how found a way to hire only top talent. Even the most junior developer is incredibly skilled and talented. Without a doubt Treehouse employs top notch people.

During my interview process I learned all of my direct reports were remote and immediately became concerned with the quality of output, and level of collaboration and accountability. Within my first week I quickly realized I had nothing to worry about; everyone I worked directly with was a hard working, highly collaborative and supportive employee, who was a great example of what accountable looks like. As a manager it was refreshing to not have to push or monitor employees to get deliverables completed on time. It has been an honor to work with so many fine employees.

Treehouse has both company and department level mission and value statements. Like many companies, these values are posted in common/public areas, mentioned in company meetings, and they are included in the measuring of employee performance. However, unlike many companies, the mission and values are part of everyday life and most conversations.

Cons

Because Treehouse is young, executives and managers are still trying to identify the best way to do things. This is great. Unfortunately though, this results in change in processes, tool usage, team membership, and the products we focus on. In general these changes aren't bad, nor unnecessary, but for some it can be too frequent, viewed as unnecessary, or just plan stressful. If change is something you find stressful, Treehouse may not be the place for you.

Part of figuring out how to effectively operate things at Treehouse, includes finding the right number of employees to smoothly deliver the desired product. Project Management is a young department, barely a year old, so they are understaffed by a person or two. This isn't overall bad, just makes things a bit challenging at times and it seems the Product Managers have too much on their plate.

Advice to Management

Focus on your marketing team and make sure they have a clear marketing plan and roadmap. This lack of a marketing roadmap results in churn for the engineering teams, and is the one project many do not want to work on.

"It's OK"

I have been working at Treehouse (Oregon) full-time

Pros

- Laid back work environment
    - 1 month sabbatical after 3 years
    - Smart people

Cons

- Generally clueless management
    - Deteriorating benefits and culture

Discover more reviews about Treehouse (Oregon).