Treyarch - Free Dinners - 'Cause you'll be crunching | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Treyarch

"Free Dinners - 'Cause you'll be crunching"

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

AAA Game known by all
Generally talented employees wanting to make great games
Project bonuses for those that give up their lives

Cons

Culture of fear, power consolidation, and extreme crunch
Production driven, very little opportunity for innovation
Stagnant vision from creatives - too scared of upsetting ATVI

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with openness and respect. Rampant turnover will continue stifling quality and creativity as long as the crunch culture is in effect.

Other Employee Reviews for Treyarch

"Cruel and fearful environment"

Former Employee - Art Lead in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Art Lead in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Treyarch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Learned much about delivering product, what it takes to get it done. Nice location. Original owners were amazing leaders and great men. The company it was prior to the addition of their latest franchise was a very different and creative place.

Cons

Team run through fear and intimidation, with yearly layoffs despite selling the biggest selling game of all time two titles running. Power heavily consolidated among an extremely small upper level group, making creative contribution nearly impossible. Mid level management leads hold on to power through careful review tactics that keep the ambitious at bay.

You will be run you right out of the company for not being a yes man. As a lower level manager, no dissent was welcome, no matter how well informed.

Many have worked so many hours that it has damaged home and personal life. The personal cost of working here is tremendous. You might think this to be sour grapes, but the volume of shared opinion among former employees contradicts that.

Advice to Management

Clean up your act. Very mean, cruel, and harsh towards employees who helped build this successful franchise. Your reputation throughout the industry is very very poor, in spite of your commercial success.

"I learned a lot, but I would never do it again."

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Treyarch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned more in my first 6 months than most people learn in years about the gaming industry. As an Associate Producer, I was put in charge of games nearly right away with a minimal of oversight. If you do well, you'll quickly get the opportunity to assist/lead multiple titles at a time. You'll get the opportunity to provide input and opinions on high profile titles as well.

Cons

The hours and crunch will...be...brutal. My first year, I put in 4 months of 6-7 days per week crunch (10-14 hour days early on, ramped up to 12-16 hour days near releases). My second year, I crunched nearly non-stop for 7 months, including more than a few monstrous 24+ hour marathon shifts. Due to the fact that my off-site developers and vendors were everywhere from East Europe to China, I was constantly working off hours to set up conference calls at any time of the day or night.

Due to the location in Minnesota, wages are not competitive to the rest of the industry. Pay and work/life balance are both common complaints from within this studio. The culture can be very aggressive and the humor can be quite scathing, even more than other gamedevs/publishing studios.